Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't think "bio-mechanical" units is a common expression in the states, but I guess the meaning here is "some robot-like, uniformed". What do you think?

ex)The goal of medicine as it is currently practiced is to develop procedures and drugs that work equally well on all patients, regardless of gender, age, or genetics. It derives from the prevalent belief that all of us are similar
bio-mechanical units that rolled off the same assembly line ― a most imperfect conception of human beings that limits conventional medicine’s effectiveness. The doctor of the future, however, needs to practice medicine in fundamentally different ways.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't think "bio-mechanical" units is a common expression in the states, but I guess the meaning here is "some robot-like, uniformed". What do you think?

ex)The goal of medicine as it is currently practiced is to develop procedures and drugs that work equally well on all patients, regardless of gender, age, or genetics. It derives from the prevalent belief that all of us are similar
bio-mechanical units that rolled off the same assembly line ― a most imperfect conception of human beings that limits conventional medicine’s effectiveness. The doctor of the future, however, needs to practice medicine in fundamentally different ways.
No, it simply means "biological/mechanical". You can only derive "robot-like" from the context. It means we all behave the same way biologically and mechanically.

By the way, I agree with the quote. Under current 'scientific' Evidence Based Medicine, I can swear black and blue that a certain drug works for my condition (pain, let's say), and a doctor only has to show that it hasn't been proven in controlled trials to work consistently, so I must be wrong, and he won't prescribe it.
Where did you find the quote?

Where did you find it?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, it simply means "biological/mechanical". You can only derive "robot-like" from the context. It means we all behave the same way biologically and mechanically.

By the way, I agree with the quote. Under current 'scientific' Evidence Based Medicine, I can swear black and blue that a certain drug works for my condition (pain, let's say), and a doctor only has to show that it hasn't been proven in controlled trials to work consistently, so I must be wrong, and he won't prescribe it.
Where did you find the quote?

Where did you find it?
It's a question of a highschool mock-up tests, I don't know where it's from, but maybe the teachers who made the questions extracted from various sources. We can probably find it on internet. Thanks for your explanation!

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
It's common in SF.
Biomechanoid units attacked. Half man, half machine, like Arnold the Terminator.:-o

Status
Not open for further replies.