Hi All,

I am writing the birth story of mine. Please review it:

------------------------------
The d-day was on September 7th 2008. My belly was as big as if I was carrying twins. I didnítí have any labor symptoms until my D-day. My Dr had scrapped the membrane a few days before but that also didnítí help to trigger my labor earlier than the D-day. I was stepping up and down on the stairs 30-40 times every day but nothing happened. Though I felt a strong cramming on 5th September but after taking bath as suggested by the on call doctor, it all went to the normal. Since the morning of 6th September, I started feeling a very mild pressure on my buttocks. More than pressure I would describe it as an unusual feeling in my lower back. When I was tired observing this unusual pressure throughout the day, I called the doctor in the night. Doctor told me that I might be in labor if that pressure is periodic and asked me to observe closely. I shouted with joy as it was the labor presures. I started to feeling relax as it could be my last day of pregnancy. I felt amazing energy inside me and I worked so much that night to prepare the food for 2-3 days in advance, arranging the other household stuff. Before going to the bed I gave a note book, a pen and a wrist watch to my husband and asked to note down the timings between pressures I was feeling on my buttocks. The pressures were mild and were somewhere 10 to 45 minutes apart. In the morning I started feeling a little intense cramp. I was excited than worried. I enjoyed preparing the breakfast even in these cramps. While taking the bath I heard a weird sound, I could guess that it was a water break. Also I felt a very slow of water leakage. I called the doctor and they asked us to come to the hospital immediately. It was one of the happiest moment as I was all ready mentally, physically and emotionally to deliver the baby with breathing and relaxation technique I had learned and experimented so far. I was calm and not in hurry to rush to the hospital. After reaching the hospital doctor told me that I am just 1-2 inches dilated. I was bit tensed as I was wishing to have the dilation at least 3-4 inches. I started getting crams 7 minutes apart and much stronger. I was walking in the corridor holding my husbandís hand. I was stopping and focusing on my breath upon getting the crams. It continued for 3-4 hours. Soon I was tired and instead of walking I felt of handling pain in my bed. When next I was checked for the dilation, it was just 3-4 cms. The pain became stronger and 5 minutes apart. I was still able to manage this pain for 1-2 hours. Doctor again checked the dilation and found it was not more than 5 inches. The pains were getting even stronger. I was very disappointed with the progression of my dilation and was feeling discouraged to manage the pain further longer. I found very hard to focus on breathing or focal point. I started shouting and asked for the epidural as I couldnít tolerate it anymore. Doctor didnít ask me to change my mind even a single time and gave me the epidural right away. I had read in the book that the complicated part of epidural at the last time is to stay still. I gathered all my strength and get my epidural without moving a millimeter. Doctor was surprised to see me calm in such a severe pain. Just after 20 minutes of getting the epidural the doctor again checked me for the dilation and told me that I am 8-9 inches dilated. They also told me that I was almost ready to push in a few minutes. I was so upset I could have done it without epidural if someone had encouraged me or had told me lie for sake of good that I was progressing well with my dilation. I was very disappointed as I wanted to do it naturally.

I let go the feeling of disappointment as I needed to focus on pushing. I could see my own progress through a mirror. In one or two pushing I was able to see the crown of the babyís head. But then even after working hard for Ĺ an hour head wasnít coming out. I reminded myself that I always wish to win the Olympics and itís the time to put my best to win this real game. I gathered all my strength and work harder and harder with no luck. I even worked harder like a real champion and the baby head was out but then shoulders got struck. My doctor told that the baby is getting blue. A team of doctors gathered in my room to take decision of surgery. Suddenly one lady doctor came in and almost climbed on me and press her knee on my stomach mercilessly and baby pushed out. I felt as if I was the winner of real life Olympics. It wasnít the end; I got a tear of four degree because of hard pushing and had the surgery for more than an hour. I met my baby after one day as she was in the incubator. Doctors accepted their mistake that my case needed a c-section because of my small pelvis. They also overlooked that I had forceps delivery in my first pregnancy.
Moral of the story is you cannot expect what will happen next in the delivery room so please be ready to accept the real time challenges of pregnancy and work with awareness. Yes you who can make a big difference in your pregnancy by the responsibility of taking care of yourself.

-------------------------------------------

Thanks in Advance
Gauri