Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
Could anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of the noun "Slang" in the context used below, in a document concerning land boundaries and dated around 1855.

"...and along the southerly Side of the said Croft and of two other Crofts, also called Bridges Croft, belonging to the said Henry Vernon, in the occupation of John Tarbuck, and of the Slang adjoining to and across a Close of Lord Anson's..."

Also in the nearby area there is, on the modern OS Map, a term "Rushford Slang".

Best wishes Peter

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of the noun "Slang" in the context used below, in a document concerning land boundaries and dated around 1855.

"...and along the southerly Side of the said Croft and of two other Crofts, also called Bridges Croft, belonging to the said Henry Vernon, in the occupation of John Tarbuck, and of the Slang adjoining to and across a Close of Lord Anson's..."

Also in the nearby area there is, on the modern OS Map, a term "Rushford Slang".

Best wishes Peter

Help! BrE speakers. Could this be "original" English? Unless this is misquoted or as an AmE speaker I'm not familiar with the terms Croft, Close or Slang as posted.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Help! BrE speakers. Could this be "original" English? Unless this is misquoted or as an AmE speaker I'm not familiar with the terms Croft, Close or Slang as posted.
The OP is a native BrE speaker.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The OED gives slang, origin obscure, as a long, narrow srip of land.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Croft, etymology unknown - piece of enclosed ground used for tillage or pasture.
2. a small agricultural holding worked by a peasant tenant.

OED

Status
Not open for further replies.