Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is he right?

  1. #1
    mabzki is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is he right?

    "Clean it every so often. I'd say every 3rd time you go to switch on the compressor"

    or

    "Clean it every so often. I'd say, every 3rd time you got to switch on the compressor"


    I heard this in a tutorial video on Youtube, a guy talking about when to clean the air compressor.

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by mabzki View Post
    "Clean it every so often. I'd say every 3rd time you go to switch on the compressor"

    or

    "Clean it every so often. I'd say, every 3rd time you got to switch on the compressor"


    I heard this in a tutorial video on Youtube, a guy talking about when to clean the air compressor.
    In both examples "every" should be "ever".
    In the second one, "got" is wrong.

  3. #3
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    22,457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In both examples "every" should be "ever".
    In the second one, "got" is wrong.
    I hate to disagree with such a respected member, but why would you change "every" to "ever"?

    Every second time I do something, it goes wrong.
    I clean the compressor every third week.

    What's wrong with those?

  4. #4
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I hate to disagree with such a respected member, but why would you change "every" to "ever"?

    Every second time I do something, it goes wrong.
    I clean the compressor every third week.

    What's wrong with those?
    You are right, brainstorm!

  5. #5
    mabzki is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In both examples "every" should be "ever".
    In the second one, "got" is wrong.
    @bhaisahab So, it goes like this? is this the correct grammar?

    "Clean it ever so often. I'd say every 3rd time you go to switch on the compressor."

    Is it safe to use "3rd" or "third"?

  6. #6
    JTRiff is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    not a teacher

    "Every so often' is common usage, totally acceptable, particularly when it's used in speech, as in this example. Means now and then, occasionally.
    Ever so often... doesn't work. It means clean it a lot, all the time.

    You can leave out go to or got to and it doesn't change the meaning.

    "Clean it every so often. I'd say every 3rd time you (go to) switch on the compressor"
    "Clean it every so often. I'd say, every 3rd time you (got to) switch on the compressor"

  7. #7
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by mabzki View Post
    @bhaisahab So, it goes like this? is this the correct grammar?

    "Clean it ever so often. I'd say every 3rd time you go to switch on the compressor."

    Is it safe to use "3rd" or "third"?
    No, I made a mistake, it should be "every". "I'd say every third time you go to switch on..." is correct.

  8. #8
    mabzki is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by JTRiff View Post
    not a teacher

    "Every so often' is common usage, totally acceptable, particularly when it's used in speech, as in this example. Means now and then, occasionally.
    Ever so often... doesn't work. It means clean it a lot, all the time.

    You can leave out go to or got to and it doesn't change the meaning.

    "Clean it every so often. I'd say every 3rd time you (go to) switch on the compressor"
    "Clean it every so often. I'd say, every 3rd time you (got to) switch on the compressor"
    Thanks guys, one last question, which would you prefer? "3rd" or "third". Is it safe to use both?

  9. #9
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Third is more formal than 3rd. However, the tone is informal with the "I'd say" so either one is okay.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  10. #10
    mabzki is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is he right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Third is more formal than 3rd. However, the tone is informal with the "I'd say" so either one is okay.
    @Barb_D
    I'm sorry for my poor English understanding, what do you mean by

    "the tone is informal with the "I'd say"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk