Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: need explaining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: need explaining

Quote Originally Posted by M56
    As it is to all North Americans.
    I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean to say that only British speakers use, "I need my dog walking"?
    The constructions are definitely regional and clearly examples of spoken grammar.
    OK. If not North America, then the UK or Australia or India, or so on, but which 'regional' dialect?
    I need my dog walked. (Action perceived as complete at some time in the future.)
    Yes.
    I need my dog walking. (Action perceived as beginning or incomplete/in progress at some time in the future.)
    Hmm. Interesting. Hold on. The one above and the one below are different?
    I need my dog walking. (Present need and future reference. Ongoing at some time in the future.)
    Could you provide some context for me, so I can get a better handle on its usage?

Remember, all this is supposition.
    On your part, or is there documented data somewhere? The reason I ask is that I'd like to know more about this regional variation.

M56 Guest

<Originally Posted by M56
    I need my dog walking. (Action perceived as beginning or incomplete/in progress at some time in the future.)

Hmm. Interesting. Hold on. The one above and the one below are different?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M56
    I need my dog walking. (Present need and future reference. Ongoing at some time in the future.) >

No, they are the same. I was just elaborating.

Now here is a wonderful example, because it shifts the focus to a repetitive activity:

Would you be willing to ask the family if they need the dog walking (unpaid of course) - explain you are not very experienced and would like to learn abit before getting one yourself??

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/in...ST&f=1&t=51632

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, so it's a UK regional variation? Thanks. So, what is 'walking' in that context, and how is it different from the state expressed by 'walked'? You mentioned the former being some form of progressive action . . .

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Ah, so it's a UK regional variation? Thanks. So, what is 'walking' in that context, and how is it different from the state expressed by 'walked'? You mentioned the former being some form of progressive action . . .
    Not sure if only UK. Ireland too, I think. And a few Aussies and Kiwis have said they hear it in their countries.

The state expressed by "walked" is resultative state, i.e. ended, IMO. The situation expressed by "walking" seems to be a progressive state, i.e. in motion.

Progressive states can express iteration (repetition) or an ongoing process.

Another example:

<He is working now, but I have to get all his clothes ready for him everyday, wake him up, because he is up so late on the PC, I do everything in the house, cook, clean, wash etc, and work full time, at weekends he just wants to mooch around the house and not go anywhere, he hates Christmas and sulks all day if we go to my family, he does't like his own, he ignores me for days when he gets the BLACK MOOD on him, he told me two weeks ago that he doesn't love me anymore, but he cares about me, he kept saying this to me from Friday night till Monday morning and then because he needed his clothes ironing for work he said he loved me a bit, and we'll just see how things work out. >
    Last edited by M56; 11-Sep-2005 at 01:42.

M56 Guest

Consequent states can express a result or an experience; progressive states can express iteration (repetition) or an ongoing process.

I need my shirt ironing. (future ongoing processor could be iterative, e.g. ironing done one time only or every week )

I need my shirts ironing. (future ongoing process or could be iterative, e.g. ironing done one time only or every week )

I need my shirt ironed. (future result)

Note how this doesn't work:

I need my shirt ironing by six o'clock.

but his does:

I need my shirt ironed by six o'clock.

Post Thanks / Like

. . . he needed his clothes ironing.
    So, it pretty much means something like,

EX: He needed his clothes (to undergo a process of) ironing.

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    So, it pretty much means something like,

EX: He needed his clothes (to undergo a process of) ironing.
    For me, yes.

I want you (to be in the process of) sitting here by six.

I need you (to be in the process of being) on the road and driving as fast as you can by six.

I need my dog walking by six o'clock = I need my dog to be out and walking by six o'clock. (process)

I need my dog walked by six o'clock. = I need my dog to have been walked by six o'clock. (result)

?* I need my shirt ironing by six o'clock. (Doesn't quite work, because the shirt cannot iron. But some readers might not see the ambiguity.)

I need my shirt ironing. = it, and I need the action of ironing applied to it. (process)

I need my shirt ironed by six o'clock. = I need my shirt to have been ironed by six o'clock. (result)

I need my shirt ironed. = I need my shirt to have been ironed by an unspecified time in the future. (result)

Post Thanks / Like

How about this, "I need my son spanking"?

How should that be taken to mean? Does it mean that "my son" needs spanking or does it mean that "my son" needs to go about spanking others??

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Temico
    How about this, "I need my son spanking"?

How should that be taken to mean? Does it mean that "my son" needs spanking or does it mean that "my son" needs to go about spanking others??
    I don't know. What's the rest of the discourse?

One for you:

My son needs spanking.

Do I feel that my son would benefit from my punishing him or is it that he wants to join a leather-fetishists' club?

Another one for you:

Shop Closed.

Does that mean that the shop has been closed by the owner for the night, or has it been permanently closed by the liquidators?
    Last edited by M56; 11-Sep-2005 at 20:37.

Post Thanks / Like

My son needs spanking.

Do I feel that my son would benefit from my punishing him or is it that he wants to join a leather-fetishists' club?
    Well, I don't know about your son, but I do know that there are those who would spank for the love of spanking!!

Shop Closed.

Does that mean that the shop has been closed by the owner for the night, or has it been permanently closed by the liquidators?
    You know as well as I do that "Shop closed" is just a sign and an incomplete sentence just like "Crazy Bush". Was Bush born crazy or was he made crazy by his arrogance, may I ask??
    Last edited by Temico; 11-Sep-2005 at 22:36.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast