Post Thanks / Like

linguistic analysis

hello everyone and teachers/professors most specifically.
    i'm taking this semester two linguistic based courses that are
    gratefully cross compatible so that studying for one is studying
    for both of them. but what i do not understand is combining knowledge
    of metrical analysis---metrical feet, anapest, dactyl, iam, trochee, spondee, etceteara---with linguistic analysis---the plosives, nasals, velars, and so forth. example: right now i'm trying to memorize the necessities of the IPA
    Inernational Phonetic Alphabet rather discarding the metrical analysis of last semester so as to focus, on the two current linguistic courses that i'm taking.
    eventually i'll be able to write some pretty cool books that, if the publishers don't accept them, i guess i'd just put up on the net in web site form.
    already i've noticed that a sufficient, single dictionary for the English language doesn't exist; combing, say, the compact Oxford English dictionary with advanced literary terminology, linguistic analysis as well as etymological information for each word.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

is one of my favorite sentences that we learned in typing class that captures the entire 26 letters of the English alphabet, so can anyone translate this phonetically? and this brings me to another question:

is there anywhere on the net that contains all the special symbols required by people/students studying linguistics as fonts or special character inserts?
    i'm using Word Perfect, and I can't stand Word because it doesn't seem built for writers or linguistic majors, but more as a side program that Microsoft puts out just to compete. and there's other word processors out there that i don't have experience with such as Wordstar. anyone ever used it?
    and is anyone working on computer programs to analyze poetry and literature
    metrically and linguistically? this software, when developed and refined, should prove to be most successful...especially if it contains visualization of sound such as those that a search of ZDNet has turned up, or Praat the program that our current professor has given us.

Phonetics
    1-articulatory - main focus of course
    2-acoustic - physical properties of soundwaves in the air
    3-auditory - perception of sounds via the ear
    4-forensic - law enforcement/government applications; voice analysis and identification

best poems for linguistic analysis i've discovered so far in studies at the university:

What the Motorcycle Said by Mona Van Duyn
    Jabberwocky by Lewis Carrol
    Corner by Ralph Pomeroy
    and my personal favorite that always makes me laugh
    In Secreit Place This Hyndir Nycht by William Dunbar

any hints, tips, tricks and so forth towards learnign this stuff would be much appreciated as it's my hope to build a lasting sort of unity between myself, and other linguistic/English majors; anyone who's interested in linguistics and phonetics as well as literary translation.

thanks for reading this and i look forward to your reply.

---kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: linguistic analysis

Welcome, Kevin.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindb123
    right now i'm trying to memorize the necessities of the IPA Inernational Phonetic Alphabet
    Click on the link below to download IPA, for free.

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...core-ipa&_sc=1

any hints, tips, tricks and so forth towards learnign this stuff would be much appreciated . . . ;anyone who's interested in linguistics and phonetics as well as literary translation.
    Linguistics, yes, ; literary analysis, sorry, no.