Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    herbivorie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Hi, Ive been trying to understand typcal expressions in "declaration of intention" in wedding vows.
    So far I’ve learned that there are no rules for when to use "Will you…?" and when to use “Do you…?”, although “Do you…?” is more traditional.
    Actually, it seems they can even be used in a mixed way.

    What seems strange to me is that people sometimes answer “I do” in response to “Will you…?” questions.
    It sounds grammatically incorrect to a non-native speaker, but is it natural to most native speakers?

    I found posts discussing this matter in a website called Mylot (I found at least some native speakers who feel the same way), but I couldn’t find any definite answer, so I ask here.
    Since I'm a new member who can't post the URL here, please Google this phrase to find the posts: "mylot - will u say I will or i do ?" The question by a person called spoiled311 is what I'm referring to.

    Also, how about the royal wedding of Prince William and Catharine Middleton, in which they said “I will” in response to “Wilt thou…”?
    (I know “Wilt thou…?” is exceptionally traditional, and “Will you" or "Do you" is used for most couples.)

    Weddings or not, isn’t it necessary to match the auxiliary verb?

  2. #2
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Quote Originally Posted by herbivorie View Post
    Hi, Ive been trying to understand typcal expressions in "declaration of intention" in wedding vows.
    So far I’ve learned that there are no rules for when to use "Will you…?" and when to use “Do you…?”, although “Do you…?” is more traditional.
    Actually, it seems they can even be used in a mixed way.

    What seems strange to me is that people sometimes answer “I do” in response to “Will you…?” questions.
    It sounds grammatically incorrect to a non-native speaker, but is it natural to most native speakers?

    I found posts discussing this matter in a website called Mylot (I found at least some native speakers who feel the same way), but I couldn’t find any definite answer, so I ask here.
    Since I'm a new member who can't post the URL here, please Google this phrase to find the posts: "mylot - will u say I will or i do ?" The question by a person called spoiled311 is what I'm referring to.

    Also, how about the royal wedding of Prince William and Catharine Middleton, in which they said “I will” in response to “Wilt thou…”?
    (I know “Wilt thou…?” is exceptionally traditional, and “Will you" or "Do you" is used for most couples.)

    Weddings or not, isn’t it necessary to match the auxiliary verb?
    The response to "Will you...?" is "Yes, I will" or "No, I won't".
    The response to "Do you...?" is "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't".

  3. #3
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    The correct answer to 'wilt thou...?' or 'will you...?' is 'I will'; to 'dost thou...?' or 'do you...?' it is 'I do'

  4. #4
    herbivorie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Thank you, bhaisahab.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    The response to "Will you...?" is "Yes, I will" or "No, I won't".
    The response to "Do you...?" is "Yes, I do" or "No, I don't".
    Of course. I completely understand that, but I'm still asking because native speakers don't follow the rule in some cases, especially in wedding vows, as I wrote in my first post.
    Last edited by herbivorie; 31-May-2011 at 15:56. Reason: typo

  5. #5
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Quote Originally Posted by herbivorie View Post
    Thank you, bhaisahab.


    Of course. I completely understand that, but I'm still asking because native speakers don't follow the rule in some cases, especially wedding vows, as I wrote in my first post.
    Can you quote any specific instances of this? I have never heard anybody respond "I do" to "Will you?"

  6. #6
    herbivorie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Thank you, five jedjon.

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    The correct answer to 'wilt thou...?' or 'will you...?' is 'I will'; to 'dost thou...?' or 'do you...?' it is 'I do'
    What do you think about the case in which the minister asks "Do you" and the bride and groom answer "I will", which I wrote in my first post?

  7. #7
    herbivorie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Can you quote any specific instances of this? I have never heard anybody respond "I do" to "Will you?"
    Please Google this phrase to go to the site I'm referring to: "mylot - will u say I will or i do ?"
    I mean the question by a person called spoiled311.

  8. #8
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Quote Originally Posted by herbivorie View Post
    Please Google this phrase to go to the site I'm referring to: "mylot - will u say I will or i do ?"
    I mean the question by a person called spoiled311.
    OK, so four years ago a person in the USA heard a couple respond "I do" to "Will you" at their marriage. It was incorrect English then, and it's incorrect English now.

  9. #9
    herbivorie is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Thank you for taking the trouble to go to the site.

    I've just notied now the person who started the topic on the myLot site was a girl in the Philippines (not in US). Other people there were from UK, Australia, US, etc.

    Let me wait for replies from countries other than UK just in case.
    I hope that nobody will say he/she has heard anybody respond "I do" to "Will you", or "I will" to "Do you" - and that the case will be closed.

  10. #10
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "I do" in response to "Will you...?"

    Quote Originally Posted by herbivorie View Post
    Thank you for taking the trouble to go to the site.

    I've just notied now the person who started the topic on the myLot site was a girl in the Philippines (not in US). Other people there were from UK, Australia, US, etc.

    Let me wait for replies from countries other than UK just in case.
    I hope that nobody will say he/she has heard anybody respond "I do" to "Will you", or "I will" to "Do you" - and that the case will be closed.
    The case is closed even if someone has heard that. Correct English is not determined by what someone happens to hear from semi-literate peasants (or even royalty) getting married.
    bhaisahab is correct even if someone else has heard this too.

    In countries which do not have English as their official language, such the Philippines, it is quite possible that some clergyman has written a marriage ceremony in which "Will you ..." is meant to be followed by "I do". The happy couple will follow his advice, since they really don't give a toss whether they are instructed to say "I will" or "I do", as long as he marries them. So there might be thousands of people who have all heard this; and it's still incorrect English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Defining "Street," "Road," "Avenue," "Boulevard"
    By ahumphreys in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-Dec-2010, 08:14
  2. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:36
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 09:27
  4. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 20:33
  5. "You bet" or "You betcha" in response to "Thanks"
    By englishstudent in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Aug-2006, 17:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •