Our own body is the best language teacher

• Thread starter englishlogix
  • Start date
  • Views : 10,505
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

englishlogix

My research on English linguistics finally told me that our own mind has a language sense which I coined as Language Quotient (LQ). It is same as mental grammar. Our mind receives information through the nervous system by senses like touch etc. while experimenting on my theory of feel & learn. I asked a group of children (With no idea of vowels or consonants) to separate vowels and consonants; for this, I simply told them the logic i.e. if a letter is spoken without using lips and/or tongue then mark it as vowel and if a letter is spoken with the help of lips and/or tongue then it is a consonant for sure. The result was amazing, 99 percent children identified all the vowels and consonants correctly and also, now they had a logic of how did they do it.

Please perform this practical activity among your students and do let me know your experience.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But /l/, /g/, /k/, /r/, and /h/ are consonants not relying on the lips. Among others. Whereas /y/, /u/ and /i/, among others are vowels which rely on "help" from the lips.

Lastly, Chomsky coined the terms and concepts you are using.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How would you expand the feel & learn theory to teach, for instance, the concept of unreal pasts and presents?

E

englishlogix

If you really want to know the use of tongue or lips while sounding a letter, you have to speak that particular sound in a delayed continuation as in slow motion till the mouth gets closed. Now speak for the letters /l/, /g/, /k/, /r/ and /h/ you will find your tongue being used (Note: I didn't Mention of lips only there was tongue also)

:roll: you might have read it cursorily.

Regarding--/y/, /u/ and /i/, among others are vowels which rely on "help" from the lips. I would like to remind that /y/ is not a vowel because it uses both lips & tongue as per the pronunciation. If you pronounce /u/ by piping you lips then it becomes out of the natural law of english. /u/ must be pronounced by vocal chords and one must avoid using lips (It can be done in case of deafness where video is the communication medium and not the audio). My dear friend, you are the first person I have ever met who tells that the vowel /i/ is pronounced with the help of lips; imagine can you not pronounce /i/ if you don't have lips.

Finally, my research is based upon Vedic principles for linguistics and Panini theory that tells that a language is commanded by body parts mainly by lungs, tongue & lips. In my method, (1) one has to touch his/her chest to feel the energy applied to speak a particular sound, word or a sentence; (2) Or to touch his/her chin to measure the width between the jaws in order to feel the size or frame of the spoken sound, word or a sentence.

As far as I have studied Dr Noam Chomsky he didn't talk about it. His theory is about sound patterns and not about Shape, size and energy of the words which has to be mingled according to the physiological laws by feeling the pressure on lungs or opening of jaws. If it is so, please let me know about it

I have coined the term Language Quotient (LQ) only. Mental grammar is not by me.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If you believe /y/ is not a vowel, you are probably misreading the symbol. Perhaps you are confusing it with /j/.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My dear friend, you are the first person I have ever met who tells that the vowel /i/ is pronounced with the help of lips
Then you appear not to have met any phoneticians. A full explanation of the formation of vowels includes a description of the position of the lips: neutral, (slightly/moderately/strongly) spread/rounded, etc

E

englishlogix

Dear all, I have developed a new pedagogy based upon the principles of natural human utterance guided by the oldest linguist of Sanskrit grammar, Panini therefore; I should make it clear that the logic, explanation and reason will not coincide with what we are learning since ages as conventional grammar or phonics, it is certainly not about beating the path. According to the logic generated through Vedic System of English Language Management (VSELM) a vowel must not be spoken using lips or tongue if it is done so then it becomes against the natural law of speech hence, I prove /y/ as vowel. In VSELM there are no tenses or translations. This technique was invented assuming the very first person who for the first time might have realized the grammatically correct syntax as "I go home" & not as "home go I" or "I home go" for instance. VSELM has been devised to make the learning natural, sensible and easy and it is proving its importance when practically delivered in the class room. It is an out of the box theory that doesn't relate to the current practices but yes, it produces perfect and quick results.

I request all of knowledgeable and expert people like you to see my views with open minds so that I could not be treated as Copurnicus when he told the world for the first time that our Earth revolves around the sun.

Whatever I am expressing may sound as alien but it is a truth that already exists in the language, I am only discovering it and presenting it as logic and not as magic.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK, but how would you use this system to teach unreal pasts and presents? You're questioning the openness of our minds without touching on my question.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
According to the logic generated through Vedic System of English Language Management (VSELM) a vowel must not be spoken using lips or tongue if it is done so then it becomes against the natural law of speech
How can you not use the lips and tongue when producing a vowel?

E

englishlogix

We don't teach tenses with VSELM, tenses relate to the time. I just ask my students to keep eye on the work (I teach verb as work) therefore, we have to check the status of the work. According to VSELM there are 3 statuses of a work (1) Pause: a work is stop for a start, (2) Play: a work is in progress and (3) Stop: a work is stop after 'Play'.

To express a particular status of a work, we use a form of verb as; 1st form for pause, 1st form+ing for play and 2nd/3rd form of the verb for stop. It is rather explained by examples like, for instance, the work of my bike is expressed by the verb 'Run' therefore; If my bike is idle and waiting for a start then I will speak-"My bike runs" here, again the logic of sound is used i.e. when you are speaking about a pause or stop status then the sound must sound like a stop. You can easily find the difference by speaking "My bike runs" & My bike is running" the suffix 'ing' expresses the sound of motion or vibration that comes out of moving.

Now, I put the key in and kick off my bike, its work 'Run' comes into the play status by its engine sound emitting the --ing sound.

VSELM is entirely based upon speak-feel-learn/use system which might not be explained or perceived by written words, very same as we can not know about heat just by reading the word 'Hot'. Sentences are composed on a natural & simple logic "See & Speak."

The whole VSELM process works as a system that must be started from the beginning, right from its fundamentals to language management.

Last edited:
E

englishlogix

How can you not use the lips and tongue when producing a vowel?

I can do it (I should say that I always do it as it is an essential rule of VSELM.) same as a rider rides a bike without hands on the handle bar, so simple, you can also do it, give it a try.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can do it (I should say that I always do it as it is an essential rule of VSELM.) same as a rider rides a bike without hands on the handle bar, so simple, you can also do it, give it a try.

If you pronounce vowels without the lips you are producing vowels with non-standard qualities. Reminds me of Eliza Doolittle with marbles in her mouth.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If my bike is idle and waiting for a start then I will speak-"My bike runs" here, again the logic of sound is used i.e. when you are speaking about a pause or stop status then the sound must sound like a stop. You can easily find the difference by speaking "My bike runs" & My bike is running" the suffix 'ing' expresses the sound of motion or vibration that comes out of moving.

Now, I put the key in and kick off my bike, its work 'Run' comes into the play status by its engine sound emitting the --ing sound.
Sorry, englishlogix, but the few lines I have quoted above are just not English. If that is the sort of language your system produces, then I would recommend that people who want to learn real English should avoid your system.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You still haven't touched on explaining how you would deal with unreal presents and pasts- regardless of whether you teach tenses or not, and they're not just about time in English, learners should be able to do this to speak well.

If my bike is idle and waiting for a start then I will speak-"My bike runs" here, again the logic of sound is used i.e. when you are speaking about a pause or stop status then the sound must sound like a stop. You can easily find the difference by speaking "My bike runs" & My bike is running" the suffix 'ing' expresses the sound of motion or vibration that comes out of moving.

This is just wrong- if you are telling them my bike runs when the key is not in it and the engine not running, then this method is positively dangerous for learners.

I would classify this method as a crackpot theory.

E

englishlogix

Thanks Raymott, I used the term LQ for the first time in 1989 and I had really no idea about it being used by some one else too. I thank you for letting me know the fact.

E

englishlogix

Anybody, please let me know how can I delete my account on Using English

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location