Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hi,

we were looking for names for a software product which is - oversimplified - intended to help the user to fetch data in a fast and easy way. Now we came up with a few names and the ones in favor all bear the word "snatch", similar to "DataSnatch" or "GigaSnatch".

Consulting the dictionaries about the word "snatch" as a non-native speaker I began to question the idea of having that word as a suffix in the name of a software product, that is also going to be sold in english speaking countries, as it amongst others has a vulgar meaning.

What impact would such an artificial and composed name have on the native speakers? What would you think, if you heard "PowderSnatch" was the name of a feather duster? Would you burst out laughing or would you even be appalled by that name?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I cannot yet think of a suitable alternative, but I do suggest that you avoid 'snatch', for the reason you mentioned. 'Gigasnatch' is a bad idea.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In Canada there isn't as strong an association with that particular meaning and even when it is used in that manner it is still considered a fairly mild word.

Personally, I'd be laughing but I think I agree with fivejedjon ...not really a good idea.

Native speaker but not a teacher.
:)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi GoodChild-
Welcome to the forum. Why not use "fetch?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Snatch suggests that the data might not be acquired in a legitimate manner to me.

The vulgar meaning exists, but I haven't heard it used much, and not for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.