Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Canada
hi

I learned from past posts that a comma is not needed before a coordinating conjunction. I wonder if the comma in the following sentence is grammatically needed or correct:

Competitive kite-flying leagues would be able to seek permits to hold events, but could have those permits revoked if debris is not cleared afterward.

Thanks for the advice

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
hi

I learned from past posts that a comma is not needed before a coordinating conjunction. I wonder if the comma in the following sentence is grammatically needed or correct:

Competitive kite-flying leagues would be able to seek permits to hold events, but could have those permits revoked if debris is not cleared afterward.

Thanks for the advice
No, it's not necessary. But I find myself using a comma in such long sentences (since I've been posting here) because it makes the sentence easier to read.

The only time I'd call a comma mandatory here is if there was ambiguity, or if the sentence caused confusion in reading:
Competitive kite-flying leagues would be able to seek permits to hold events and competitions could be cancelled in future if debris is not cleared afterward.
Without a comma in this sentence, the reader tends to read "events and competitions" as a unit, but here "competitions" is the subject of a new clause, not a double object with "events".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When a coordinating conjunction separates two independent clauses, traditionalists will tell you that it's required. Others say it's not strictly necessary, but I suggest that as a matter of good style, when your two clauses are as long as the ones you have here, you should use the comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.