Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Would you consider using "ill logic" or "ill-logic" instead of "illogic" a mistake?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    That depends.

    1) That's an illogical statement. Correct.
    2) That statement is based on ill logic. Correct.
    3) That statement is ill-logic. Incorrect.

    I can't imagine using ill-logic at all.
    Ill logic as an adjective+noun combination is fine.
    Illogical as an adjective on its own is fine.

    It would completely depend on context.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    That depends.

    1) That's an illogical statement. Correct.
    2) That statement is based on ill logic. Correct.
    3) That statement is ill-logic. Incorrect.

    I can't imagine using ill-logic at all.
    Ill logic as an adjective+noun combination is fine.
    Illogical as an adjective on its own is fine.

    It would completely depend on context.
    Yes, however, I didn't mean "illogical", but "illogic" -- a noun. I understand that you endorse the phrase "ill logic". I don't see anything wrong about it personally either, but I have found that there is only a single hit for it in the BYU corpora, and one in which the use of the adjective "ill" is forced by the context. Because of this, I thought that, since "ill logic" sounds the same as "illogic", "ill logic" might perhaps be frowned upon as a misspelling. This is not the case then, thank you.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 24,990
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Yes, however, I didn't mean "illogical", but "illogic" -- a noun. I understand that you endorse the phrase "ill logic". I don't see anything wrong about it personally either, but I have found that there is only a single hit for it in the BYU corpora, and one in which the use of the adjective "ill" is forced by the context. Because of this, I thought that, since "ill logic" sounds the same as "illogic", "ill logic" might perhaps be frowned upon as a misspelling. This is not the case then, thank you.
    Ah, I understand now.

    That statement is based on ill logic.
    I can't believe the illogic of that statement!

    I don't think "ill logic" would be viewed as a misspelling if it was clear that you know the meaning and how to use it, which I believe you do. The danger you would have would be with people who have no idea that illogic is a noun and is simply the opposite of logic!

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    I've never used or seen "ill logic" used as a noun. I would say "faulty" or "flawed" logic.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,026
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I've never used or seen "ill logic" used as a noun. I would say "faulty" or "flawed" logic.
    I agree. I didn't know ill logic existed and would certainly never consider using it.

    I've forgotten it already, BC, and suggest you do the same.

    Rover

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I agree. I didn't know ill logic existed and would certainly never consider using it.

    I've forgotten it already, BC, and suggest you do the same.
    I agree with Rover and SoothingDave.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,854
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I've never used or seen "ill logic" used as a noun. I would say "faulty" or "flawed" logic.
    Or 'bad' or 'self-serving' or 'specious' or 'spurious' or (very informal) 'duff' or 'dodgy'. I can imaging contexts where it might be used: for example - 'I'm not saying the argument is illogical; perhaps I would just say it shows ill logic' - a rather dubious play on words. But I've certainly never heard it either.

    b

  5. Route21's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 938
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    Hi BC

    To add to what the other folks have said...

    The prefix "ill-" in "illogical" has the same relationship to the word "ill" as it does in "illegal" or "illegitimate" - i.e. none!

    It merely negates the word, in the same way as similar prefixes in: innoxious, impenetrable, ignoble, irrefutable, irrevocable, invariable.

    Hope this helps
    R21
    Last edited by Route21; 04-Jun-2011 at 15:51. Reason: UE Dictionary suggested a possible (erronious) spelling error

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: ill logic or ill-logic instead of illogic

    illogic is a word that means: Invalid or incorrect reasoning.

    Its adjective is illogical that can be used as :

    1. Your statement for this seems to be totally illogical.
    2. I don't like illogical reasoning at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ill often/often ill ? 3 times a/per year ?
    By ph2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2010, 15:07
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2009, 19:54
  3. I'd like to know the logic.
    By unepomme in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2009, 03:56
  4. Inauspicious, ill-boding, ill-fated, ominous and unfortunate
    By Devil's tear in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-May-2008, 22:19
  5. Logic
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2004, 17:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •