Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For those familiar with uk english writing formalities, can you please confirm the letter writing protocol in relation to a letter send by a business (specifically a law firm) for the following:

1. For a letter addressed Dear Sirs/Yours faithfully, must the body of the text always be written in the plural "we" or can it be written in the first person "I"?

2. For a letter addressed Dear Mr [ ]/Yours sincerely, must the body of the letter always be written in the first person "I" or can the letter ever be written in the plural "we"?

Thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
From a lawyer:

The answer to question one is that it should be we, because the letter is sent by the law firm to the other law firm, rather than the individual. It is normally we because law firms were traditionally partnerships, so the we technically refers to the partners
On the second one, again the letter is sent on behalf of the firm, but addressed to the person at the law firm, so it would normally be I, but you can also use we, for example if you are asking for documents or information it is the law firm that wants to receive them, rather than the individual.

scrutiny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's great.

With regard to question 1, how is the letter signed. Does the individual sign their own name at the end of the letter, or do they sign the name of the firm? If they sign the name of firm would they print their name under that signature or would it be the firm name.

Re question 2, if you were to use "we" would the person sign their own name at the end or would they sign the firm
Name?

Many Thanks.

scrutiny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status