Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Here is a sentence. Could anyone check if it's correct?:?:

> They look painful because they have just got beaten up by their mom.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No.
Something that causes pain is painful. Those pointy, high-heeled shoes look painful.

If someone is beaten up, they are in a fight, usually with punching, hitting, etc. It's hard to imagine a mom beating up her kids in a street fight.

They look like they are in pain because their mother beat them.

(This implies a very, very severe punishment, which would be illegal where I live.)

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
No.
Something that causes pain is painful. Those pointy, high-heeled shoes look painful.

If someone is beaten up, they are in a fight, usually with punching, hitting, etc. It's hard to imagine a mom beating up her kids in a street fight.

They look like they are in pain because their mother beat them.

(This implies a very, very severe punishment, which would be illegal where I live.)

Thank you for answering:)
There is one thing I want to make sure about: What made your sentence (I've highlighted it)imply a very severe punishment? The words"they are in pain" or "beat"?
I hope I'm making my question clear^~^"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for answering:)
There is one thing I want to make sure about: What made your sentence (I've highlighted it)imply a very severe punishment? The words"they are in pain" or "beat"?
I hope I'm making my question clear^~^"
If a mother smacks a child, the physical pain is not great, and it is momentary.

If a parent beats a child, it is usually with a whip, cane, belt, or some other instrument of pain. The pain is greater and longer lasting. Such beatings are nowadays illegal in many countries, not just where Barb lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If a mother smacks a child, the physical pain is not great, and it is momentary.

If a parent beats a child, it is usually with a whip, cane, belt, or some other instrument of pain. The pain is greater and longer lasting. Such beatings are nowadays illegal in many countries, not just where Barb lives.

Oh! I get it. I didn't know the word "beat" means so serious actions. Thank you.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Dear moderators!

Can I bring your attention to the word cane being underlined and recognised as Canadian English. I think that only CanE should be recognised like that.

Could you please get it fixed, if you can.

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.