Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Can you tell the meaning of "sense of depth", please? Here's the context:

"Sapkowski's world, and the sense of depth, is reminiscent of Middle Earth. And while he includes all the traditional fantasy characters you would expect, Sapkowski also manages to revitalize the genre with energetic and compelling writing. A breath of fresh air in a well-worn genre.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In what context did you encounter this phrase?

Please quote at least a full sentence.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And, please! put your whole question in the text. The title line is a title line. Far too many people are trying to rope it into the text where it doesn't belong.

Title: sense of depth
Text: Can you tell the meaning of "sense of depth", please? Here's the context:
<Context.>

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
@Raymott

Sorry for my mistake, I know little, barely half way about English. I don't know much in which words to use to ask a question, and even if its polite or not. Now I understand, thanks for correcting me. Sorry again, I didn't understand what you meant by "people are trying to rope it into the text where it doesn't belong"?

@Rover_KE

I encountered this in the book "The Witcher (Blood of Elves)" Here's the context:

"Sapkowski's world, and the sense of depth, is reminiscent of Middle Earth. And while he includes all the traditional fantasy characters you would expect, Sapkowski also manages to revitalize the genre with energetic and compelling writing. A breath of fresh air in a well-worn genre.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sapkowski is very skilled at creating a real picture of the world he is writing about. You feel that it exists in three dimensions (Height, width and depth), not just two.

Pictures actually exist only in two dimensions - they have no real depth. So, if they give the impression of depth, they appear realistic, life-like.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I didn't understand what you meant by "people are trying to rope it into the text where it doesn't belong"?
What I meant was that I, personally, find it annoying when people do things like this: they write a title line, such as "What is sense of depth", and in the acutal message, they put "see title" - as if they want someone to put an effort into the answer, but that it's so, so difficult for them to actually write their question properly as well as a title!

"to rope something in" is a metaphor from rodeos I think.
A: There's only three of us. We need to buy four pizzas to get a discount.
B: Let's see if we can find someone else to rope in.

What I meant originally was using the title as a question because the poster is too lazy to write both. That's "roping it in", but for a different reason than above.

Note, I'm sure it doesn't annoy other people quite so much, and I'm not speaking for everyone.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At least titles done in this fashion are helpful for future searches and don't just say "grammer."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
@Raymott

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll make sure I always include the title in the text.

@fivejedjon

I thought it says a sense of deepness, feeling deeply to the story of Sapkowski, Isn't it?
Three dimension? So It would mean a realistic story?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
@Raymott

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll make sure I always include the title in the text.
In case you've misundertood me, I'm not asking you to include the title in the text - it might not belong in the text.
I was asking you to ask your full question in the text, so that a person can understand it without having to find the title again.

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Okay, I'll include the entire question everytime. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.