• Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default critical to vs critical for

In this forum, I have learned that "important/vital/critical to" means valued and "important/vital/critical to" means making something happen.

I am however confused with the use of "critical to" in "Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to economic growth". This means to me that those inputs are valued in the field/area of economic growth.

why not "Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical for economic growth" that make more sense that those inputs are critical for achieving economic growth?

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: critical to vs critical for

Quote Originally Posted by kooiu View Post
    In this forum, I have learned that "important/vital/critical to" means valued and "important/vital/critical to" means making something happen.
    In which thread(s) did you learn that? I think you may have misunderstood something.

kooiu is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

please help explain the differences between
    1. "Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to economic growth"

2."Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical for economic growth"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

1. "Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to economic growth"

2." Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical for economic growth"
    There is no difference.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But is it not that "critical to" implies an indispensable priority in the area of economic growth, while "critical for" means beneficial to economic growth but may not be an indispensable priority?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

But is it not that "critical to" implies an indispensable priority in the area of economic growth, while "critical for" means beneficial to economic growth but may not be an indispensable priority?
    No

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One more piece of help please because I do not know what "There is no difference" mean regarding how else one can re-express the two sentences without introducing new examples

1. Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to economic growth"

2."Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical for economic growth

Without using critical/essential/important/fundamental/basic to/for, could you help me explain the meaning of my two sentences? Just to let you know what I am interested in, below is my understanding of your contribution "There is no difference":

Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs required/needed to achieve/promote economic growth Is this what you meant by "There is no difference"

If I replace economic growth with global capitalism, does Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to global capitalism means Business ties facilitate the exhange of inputs required for achieving global capitalism?

Please help me out

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

One more piece of help please because I do not know what "There is no difference" mean regarding how else one can re-express the two sentences without introducing new examples

Without using critical/essential/important/fundamental/basic to/for, could you help me explain the meaning of my two sentences? Just to let you know what I am interested in, below is my understanding of your contribution "There is no difference":

Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs required/needed to achieve/promote economic growth Is this what you meant by "There is no difference"

If I replace economic growth with global capitalism, does Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to global capitalism means Business ties facilitate the exhange of inputs required for achieving global capitalism?

Please help me out
    I cannot add to what I have already said, "These two sentences have essentially the same meaning:

1. Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical to economic growth.

2. Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs critical for economic growth. "

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am only asking for what those sentences mean to you. As a non-native speaker of a language, I am confident of the use of the language through re-interpretations. But if you feel there is nothing to add, thank you for your previous contributions.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help me out
    I think the problem is that you keep changing your question.

You asked 5jj whether a sentence with "critical to" meant something different from one with "critical for". He quite correctly answered "No".

You are now asking whether, by "No", he means "Business ties facilitate the exchange of inputs required/needed to achieve/promote economic growth"
    I think I can say with some confidence that his "No" did not mean that. It meant, not surprisingly, that the two sentences you gave him for comparison meant the same thing.

A better way to ask this question would be: Does "critical to" mean the same as "required for achieving"?
    Yes, it means more or less the same.
    "Critical to/for" does not mean "valued".
    Last edited by Raymott; 10-Jun-2011 at 10:47.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast