• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you think it sounds good? Is it in a good English?

This book is the fruit of a period of a self-imposted cloistored life. I had just ten months to write it and the story I have told needed a big deal of work and many pages for being told properly. Of couse, in order to end my work I did not shut myself away at home like the monk of the legend I have talked about in the book, and obviously I also survived the term "the end". But, without doubt, I lived a time of isolation. So, I would like to thank all my friends who have put up my family on Sunday afternoons, while I was stuck behind my keyboard, and who have never told me off for being an unreliable friend for nearly a year.
    Telling such a type of story like the one I have tried to tell you has been like moving round through an unexplored land.
    Dear readers, you can now judge the result of my travel (unless you are not reading my thanks first, although I have tried to hide them at the end of my book; but if you are already reading them, you will still have to judge and rank me and I really hope your reading is enjoyable and enthralling. Thank you so much for following me in this travel.

Pokemon is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you think it sounds good? Is it in a good English?

My knowledge of English isn't good enough too edit the post itself, so I'll dare correct the title only: "Is it good English?"

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    This book is the fruit of a period of a self-impostedimposed cloistered life. I had just ten months to write it and the story I have told needed a biggreat deal of work and many pages for being told properly. Of course, in order to end my work I did not shut myself away at home like the monk of the legend I have talked about in the book, and obviously I also survived the term "the end". But, without doubt, I lived a timeperiod of isolation. So, I would like to thank all my friends who have put up my family on Sunday afternoons, while I was stuck behind my keyboard, and who have never told me off for being an unreliable friend for nearly a year.
    Telling such a type of story like the one I have tried to tell you has been like moving round through an unexplored land.
    Dear readers, you can now judge the result of my travel (unless you are not reading my thanks first, although I have tried to hide them at the end of my book; but if you are already reading them, you will still have to judge and rankrank me and (If "they" are not reading this passage, this statement is makes no sense.) I really hope your reading is enjoyable and enthralling. Thank you so much for following me in this travel.
    A few changes/comments.

dilodi83 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your help and the comment you have written, but I've got a few questions :
    1) "a big deal" is grammatically incorrect? or is "great deal" the unique correct form?
    2) "....like moving round through an unexplored land"; do you think this expression is quite clear to let people understand what I mean?

Thanks so much for your help again.

billmcd is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    Thanks so much for your help and the comment you have written, but I've got a few questions :
    1) "a big deal" is grammatically incorrect? or is "great deal" the unique correct form?
    2) "....like moving round through an unexplored land"; do you think this expression is quite clear to let people understand what I mean?

Thanks so much for your help again.
    #1 "a big deal" = something important; "a great deal of" = a lot of/much, or it could mean a bargain but not in the context you posted.

#2 clear enough to me.
    Last edited by billmcd; 10-Jun-2011 at 00:53. Reason: typo