Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Dr. Sheldrake, the biologist who designed this study, believes that the results are...................(satisfying-convincing-concluding-persuading) enough to find out through further experiments precisely how the staring effect might actually come about.

I think that both satisfying and convincing sound good, but I have to choose just one and I'd say that satisfying is much better. Obviously, the book I took the text from suggests convincing. What do you think about it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd accept convincing or satisfactory. Satisfying does not work for me.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'd accept convincing or satisfactory. Satisfying does not work for me.

But what's the difference between satisfactory and satisfying? Aren't they both adjectives coming from "satisfaction"? Don't they have the same meaning?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But what's the difference between satisfactory and satisfying? Aren't they both adjectives coming from "satisfaction"? Don't they have the same meaning?
They are frequently different. If something is satisfying, it gives you pleasure because it fulfils some sort of need. If it is satisfactory it is often good enough.

If your sentence had read, Dr Sheldrake said that he has had some very sat... results, both might be possible, but in your example he seems to be using 'satisfactory enough' as a near-synonym for 'good enough'. He is not interested in his personal feelings (though he may indeed be very satisfied), but in the quality/reliability/etc of the test results.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks so much for the explanation. Could you give some practical examples to understand the difference better?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Goulash and dumplings is a very satisfying Czech meal.
The service at the restaurant was satisfactory, but I expected something a little better for the price we paid for the meals.

Considering the recession, our sales last year were satisfactory, but we have a long way to go before we get back to the 2009 figures.

My English teacher was always very dismissive of my chances of getting any sort of university place, so it was very satisfying to be able to tell him that I had been offered a place at Balliol.

Status
Not open for further replies.