Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Mexico
I am English language teacher. I have confidence but I am weak in eye contact. specially during lecture I fell shy to see girls. How can I build my eye contact?

English Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Everyone knows lack of self confidence is in contradiction to becoming a good teacher. I think your problem is just an obsession. You must know and believe you are better than your students and have a wider range of knowledge. There is a famous sentence: "Teachers are authorities in classrooms." Keep it ringing in yours ears. It might help you.

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
You mention lectures, which seem to be a bit impersonal by definition. If it's purely eye contact that you're having trouble with, then I would suggest just do it no matter how uncomfortable you feel, and after a short time, it'll just come naturally.

But in the classroom, I think interpersonal skills come into play a lot more. I would suggest you find a teacher you know is good at it, and observe them teaching. I suspect what you'll see is a lot of using students' names, remembering things about their students' personal lives, and asking follow questions during feedback out of a genuine interest. Not only does it show your students that you care, but it can create many opportunities for communication to occur in the future, which can only be a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.