• Start date
  • Views : 173,302
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibeke

Re: I don't know how to lear english.

Mehran said:
Hello
My name is Mehran .I am iranian and i wanna learn english in 6 month.

What can i do.Plz guide me.
Thanks alot

1. You should daily have (at least some) conversations in English
2. You should hear it around you all the time, I know it sounds boring, but I always put on BBC World Radio, very good training
3. As for writing: you'll need more than six months, I'm afraid

But maybe you could start with 1. & 2.

:wink:

Ibeke

tdol said:
Mehran said:
Hello
My name is Mehran .I am iranian and i wanna learn english in 6 month.

What can i do.Plz guide me.
Thanks alot
OK, here are some corrections- Iranian should have a capital letter- all nationality words do, so English should, too. I is written with a capital letter. 'wanna' is not used in formal English- it is very colloquial, try 'want to' instead, although it's OK for e-mails. 'A lot' is two words. Post more messages and see what you can learn. :shock:

I'm sorry, but this is not the appropiate manner to introduce somebody to a language. No language teacher starts with spelling mistakes, the first and most important thing is that the language learner manages to make himself understood: Does he place his constituents in the right order? In an acceptable order?...Is he using the right words to express what he's referring to: eg. Cup for Teapot,...In such cases you can correct, but I think in the introductory phase this kind of corrections will only discourage the student. Or: Who said: "Step by step..."

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other

Ibeke said:
Is he using the right words to express what he's referring to...

By the by, using he to refer to all humans is somewhat out-dated. :wink:

Ibeke

Ibeke said:
Ibeke said:
Casiopea said:
Ibeke said:

I wasn't referring to all humans, I was referring to the Iranian boy. :wink: But I would have used it also to refer to people in general as in Dutch there's no big problem with that, so thanks for the advice. But I guess "one" is more favourable then?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other

Ibeke said:
Ibeke said:
Ibeke said:
Casiopea said:
Ibeke said:

I wasn't referring to all humans, I was referring to the Iranian boy. :wink: But I would have used it also to refer to people in general as in Dutch there's no big problem with that, so thanks for the advice. But I guess "one" is more favourable then?

But... English is not Dutch. :wink: Next time state "Iranian boy". :wink: By the way, do only Iranian boys learn English? What about Iranian men? :wink:

H

Hewleri

How do you know that "Mehran" is a boy? Is it a boys name, is that how you know?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hewleri said:
How do you know that "Mehran" is a boy? Is it a boys name, is that how you know?
The word he does not refer to Mehran but to language learner.

:)

X

xbisoubisoux

I would consider the phrase Im a chinese derrogatory because it treats the word chinese as an object instead of a nationality

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"I'm a Chinese" is derogatory? Is it possible for one to say derogatory things about oneself? (I have never considered that possibility before.) In any case, it has a parallel in "I am an American", which definitely wouldn't be considered derogatory.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: is Potato or Tomato is a Countable Noun

They are both countable nouns. Shape and size don't affect whether you can count something. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Say:

My English teacher told us....
(Tdol is right, of course.)

Farhaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
countable and Uncountable Nouns!

Hello Tdol, Thank You its really nice ?

Well Now i wanna ask you another question is that what do you think paper is countable noun or uncountable noun and when it becomes page then? and another question is that what about our hair is countable or uncountable my english teacher told us that when hair has definite shape and size then it become countable noun but when they dont have shape then its uncountable.? another question is that what about stars thay are countable or uncountable? our teacher told us that stars are countable but they are countless. so plz help me you are very great person /
Farhaj.
And another thing is that if u found any kind of grammar mistake or any suggestion related to me then plz plz plz tell me Okay bye take care urself.

Last edited:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Paper is countable. Page is countable. Hair is countable. (True, it is easier to count the hairs on your head after you have cut them off of your head.)

I am not sure I understand your English teacher's comments. (I suggest that you refer her to this website.) Whatever its shape, hair is hair. True, you would not, for example, say a person has red hairs but that a person has red hair. But that person's red hair is still countable. ;-)

Stars are indeed countable. Saying that they are countless simply means that there are so many that we could never count them all. They are so numerous that we could never put a number to how many there are.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: countable and Uncountable Nouns!

Farhaj said:
Hello Tdol, Thank You its really nice ?

Well Now i wanna ask you another question is that what do you think paper is countable noun or uncountable noun and when it becomes page then?

Hello, Tdol! hank you! That was really nice.

Now I want to ask you another question. Do ypu think paper is a countable or uncountable noun? And what about page?

(I don't know if I'd say Tdol is great, but he's good. ;-) )

happyhel

The best way to learn English is to read or to as much English as you can.

If you go to www.bbc.co.uk , listen and repeat try it

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Both paper and page are countable nouns.

gogu

Red5 said:
If someone said “I’m a Chinese” to me, I'd be inclined to ask them "Chinese what?". I see it the same way as if someone said "I'm a English."

:eek: :)

Nope
We can say "I'm a Chinese" as well as "I am Chinese".
And "the Indian" and "Indian" are all acceptable, if you want to point out a special Indian, you can use article "the" to specilize.

HaraKiriBlade

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

Hmm maybe you can say 'I'm a Chinese', but it doesn't sound right to me. I've been studying English by memorizing random sentences, and one I remember is "I'm a Chinese government official."

I once asked the same question to an ESL teacher years ago, and he said "You either go 'I'm Korean' or 'I'm a Korean person'. Now, to me, even 'I'm a Korean person' sounds weird, although there's no grammatical flaw. He was probably stretching a bit to explain the difference.

Last edited:

Maxwel

Member Type
English Teacher

What's this? Is this English?

Status
Not open for further replies.