Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I have found a grammar which shows the uses of the articles by an exercise; and I would like to know if as I have understand these uses are right or not. If some of them it isn't right could you tell me why is it wrong?
Only we could use the, a/an or / (no article)
Thanks.

Last year I had_1_ very different holiday; some friends and I went on _2_ 'yoga retreat' on _3_ south coast of _4_ France. _5_retreat itself was fascinating- it consisted of about _6_ fifty huts for twho people bejind a really peaceful, quiet beach. We had three hours of yoga every morning on _7_ beach and then we went for _8_ walks in_9_ hills behind the coast in the afternoon, or just relaxed. _10_ instructor who took us for yoga was fantastic- so knowledgeable.
_11_holiday was only a week but I felt both calm and invigorated when I got back. It's certainly _12_ most relaxing holiday I've ever had!
Answers
1.- a ; 2.- a; 3.- the 4.- /; 5.- the; 6.- / ; 7.- the; 8.- /; 9.- / ; 10.- the
11.- the 12.- the.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have found a grammar which shows the uses of the articles by an exercise; and I would like to know if as I have understand these uses are right or not. If some of them it isn't right could you tell me why is it wrong?
Only we could use the, a/an or / (no article)
Thanks.

Last year I had_1_ very different holiday; some friends and I went on _2_ 'yoga retreat' on _3_ south coast of _4_ France. _5_retreat itself was fascinating- it consisted of about _6_ fifty huts for twho people bejind a really peaceful, quiet beach. We had three hours of yoga every morning on _7_ beach and then we went for _8_ walks in_9_ hills behind the coast in the afternoon, or just relaxed. _10_ instructor who took us for yoga was fantastic- so knowledgeable.
_11_holiday was only a week but I felt both calm and invigorated when I got back. It's certainly _12_ most relaxing holiday I've ever had!
Answers
1.- a ; 2.- a; 3.- the 4.- /; 5.- the; 6.- / ; 7.- the; 8.- /; 9.- / ; 10.- the
11.- the 12.- the.
It's usual to use "the" at 9, the others are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.