Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Middle way" is a term for moderate attitude for what you've decided to do. Do you say "middle way" or "the middle way"?

ex)He always keeps to the middle way.

I know "the" is used for unique things, but sometimes I can see nouns of general idea without "the".

So what is the standard for adding "the" or not for general ideas or concepts?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you provide us with a few examples?
Middle way is an abstract noun, so you can use "hatred, anger, happiness, sorrow, etc" without "the" as general concepts. Maybe I'm wrong, do you get what I'm trying to know?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Middle way is an abstract noun, so you can use "hatred, anger, happiness, sorrow, etc" without "the" as general concepts. Maybe I'm wrong, do you get what I'm trying to know?
You need to use an article. "Middle Way" is not an English idiom. You can use "the middle way" if that way is clearly defined, or "a middle way" if only the extreme two ways are defined.

"Some people can't stop exercising and others sit on the couch all day long. My approach to exercise is to take a middle way." (I use 'a' here, because no middle way has been mentioned yet.)

I know the Buddha had a "Middle Way" philosophy - not to live in luxury, but not to impose the extremes of asceticism on oneself. I think it's an Eastern concept. I'd be interested in hearing if there's any Middle Way philosophy from the West that was called this.

Status
Not open for further replies.