Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Dear Forum Users,

I am writing a paper on irony and I have just finished the abstract. Could anyone please revise it for organization, details, clarity, grammar, style, etc.? So, here it is:

Irony is a pervasive mode of thought and is taken to be an expression of feeling, attitude or evaluation. This paper casts a critical glance at the traditional pragmatic view of irony as well as the most definitive theories of the 1980s and 90s and shows that most of these conceptions are incomplete: they have a limited sphere of explanatory sway, as attested by the occurrence of instances of ironic speech not conforming to these models. This paper also uncovers further inconsistencies in relation to the definition of verbal irony.
As a result of all of these uncertainties, this paper takes a cognitive stance and treats irony as a mode of thought rather than as a figure of speech or a strategy of communication. As a cognitive-conceptual phenomenon, this study argues, irony cannot have a single possible interpretation. Rather, it is a family of related phenomena, each with its own internal structure or, as the paper terms it, ‘script’.

Thank you very much.

Csika

Csika

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hey Gillnetter,