Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the word "pop" in:

Detective: "You Popped in '92 for ag assault, (o.s.) '93 criminal conspiracy, '94 possession (on) with intent"

What is the meaning of "popped" here? what is it capitalized?

Thanks a lot.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

If you gave a wider context it would make things a lot easier, like about the "issues". Haven't you got an OCR to scan at least a paragraph of the book you are reading?

Regards,

M.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Not a teacher

If you gave a wider context it would make things a lot easier, like about the "issues". Haven't you got an OCR to scan at least a paragraph of the book you are reading?

Regards,

M.

it's an episode, not a book. Ask me to answer you. tell me what's messing? :roll:

Thanks

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the word "pop" in:

Detective: "You Popped in '92 for ag assault, (o.s.) '93 criminal conspiracy, '94 possession (on) with intent"

What is the meaning of "popped" here? what is it capitalized?

Thanks a lot.

Are you sure the detective didn't say "You got popped in '92 for ag assault"? To get "popped" is slang in AmE for being arrested. It sounds like the detective is reciting a list of previous crimes to a perpetrator: he was arrested in 1992 for aggravated assault, in 1993 for criminal conspiracy, and in 1994 with possession of illegal narcotics with the intent to sell them. "Popped" wouldn't usually be capitalized, though.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
mess - a disorderly or dirty pile of things

Look at some possible uses:

"messing things up" - confusing things
"messing around" - going about senselessly or causing disturbance
"messing with me" - fooling me/with me
"messing in other people's affairs" - interfering

M.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Are you sure the detective didn't say "You got popped in '92 for ag assault"? To get "popped" is slang in AmE for being arrested. It sounds like the detective is reciting a list of previous crimes to a perpetrator: he was arrested in 1992 for aggravated assault, in 1993 for criminal conspiracy, and in 1994 with possession of illegal narcotics with the intent to sell them. "Popped" wouldn't usually be capitalized, though.

He hasn't said "got" but it's usual they don't say a lot of grammatically- necessary words :roll: You are right. What you said really suits the context.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.