Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"After all, the ECLS data don't say that books in the house cause high test scores; it says only that the two are correlated."

The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a book well worth reading. My question is, Shouldn't "it" be "they"? Or, if one wants to keep "it," then "don't" should be "doesn't."

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"After all, the ECLS data don't say that books in the house cause high test scores; it says only that the two are correlated."

The above sentence is from Freakonomics, a book well worth reading. My question is, Shouldn't "it" be "they"? Or, if one wants to keep "it," then "don't" should be "doesn't."

Thanks!
"After all, the ECLS data doesn't say that books in the house cause high test scores; it says only that the two are correlated."
That's how I would write it.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

The confusion is generated by "data" being the plural of "datum". Although scientists refer to it in the plural, the modern tendency is to treat it as a mass noun, thus being the the singular applicable. Both are classified correct but does, indeed, generate some difficulties when refering to it as an antecedent.

M.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Yes; it's a sloppy sentence. I think the writer may have used the plural to sound posh ad academic, then lapsed into ordinary usage.

Unlike scientists, I go for the singular.

Status
Not open for further replies.