Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
United States
Good morning and first of all thanks for the support that you will give me in the following weeks, as I'm planning to make the TOEFL examination in a month.

Here there is the question and the answer of a written practice that I did.

I'd like to know your opinion and were you'd correct it in order to increase the scoring. Thanks a lot:-D

QUESTION
What are the advantages and disadvantages of owning a car? State your opinion using illustrations and reasons.

ANSWER

Owning a car has several advantages and disadvantages. To be owner of a method of transportation gives you freedom but sometimes it cost too much.

On one hand owning a car, there is the opportunity to be totally free, to have a high degree of flexibility. When I was a freshman I used to go to the College by tube. More than often classes were postponed late in the evening, when subway was closed. In these cases I had to sleep to some friends of mine because I have no way to come back home. During the summer of the first year I saved money to buy a used car. So the next year I was even more proficient in my study thanks to the fact that I could come back home when classes were in delay or if I wanted to study longer in the university library.
On another hand It allow to the owner to make great road trips. During the College me and my friends made a great road trip across Europe, having the opportunity to visit a lot of countries for a very low price, because we shared all the expenses and sometimes we slept in the car.

However owning a car has also disadvantages. First of all the purchase itself of the vehicle is one of the biggest expenses that generally speaking a family or a young guy has to face. Besides there are a lot of cost that are tightly linked to the ownership itself as the insurance. In my country it's mandatory to have the insurance against accident if you own a car, even if you never use it. The cost of the insurance itself could be bigger than the vehicle value. In addition there are all costs related to the utilization of it as gasoline, regular and extraordinary maintenance. Finally the utilization of the car has a cost that the entire community has to bear: the pollution.

In conclusion owning a car have advantages and disadvantages, I think that advantages overcame disadvantages but, especially if you are a young guy, expenses could be really high. Personally I solved this problem sharing the car with my neighbor, we work in the same district and we live together. In such a way we could reduce significantly the pro-capita expenses.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Owning a car has several advantages and disadvantages. Being the owner of this method of transportation gives you freedom but sometimes it costs too much.

On the one hand, owning a car means there is the opportunity to be totally free, to have a high degree of flexibility. When I was a freshman I used to go to college by tube. More often than not, classes ran until late in the evening, when the underground was closed. In these cases I had to sleep with to some friends of mine because I had no way to get back home. During the summer of the first year I saved money to buy a used car, so the following year I was even more proficient in my study thanks to the fact that I could come back home when classes were delayed or if I wanted to study longer in the university library.
Furthermore, a car allows the owner to make great road trips. During our college days my friends and I enjoyed a great road trip across Europe, having the opportunity to visit a lot of countries for a very low price, because we shared all the expenses and sometimes we slept in the car.

However, owning a car has also disadvantages. First of all the purchase of the vehicle itself is one of the biggest expenses that generally speaking a family or a young person has to face. Besides there are a lot of costs involved in car ownership, such as the insurance. In my country it's mandatory to have insurance against accidents if you own a car, even if you never use it. The cost of the insurance itself could be more than the vehicle's value. In addition there are other costs related to the utilization of it such as gasoline, regular and additional maintenance. Finally the utilization of the car has a cost that the entire community has to bear: the pollution.

In conclusion, owning a car has advantages and disadvantages. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages but, especially if you are a young person, expenses could be really high. Personally I solved this problem by sharing the car with my neighbor, as we work in the same district and we live together. In this way we were able to reduce significantly the per-capita expenses.

Rover

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"In these cases I had to sleep with some friends of mine because I had no way to get back home."

I'm rather perturbed by the idea that having no way of getting home might force me into sleeping with my friends! ;-)

dantest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
United States
THANKS GUYS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.