Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,

Are the phrasal verbs more acceptable than their one-word equivalents in formal writing?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Hi,

Are the phrasal verbs more acceptable than their one-word equivalents in formal writing?

Thanks,
Joe

Not a Teacher

In my view, your question does not make entire sense, since both kinds are used in formal writing. Maybe if you were to give some examples the question would make complete sense.

M.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a Teacher

In my view, your question does not make entire sense, since both kinds are used in formal writing. Maybe if you were to give some examples the question would make complete sense.

M.

Ok, here they are:

call off - cancel
find out - discover
hold up - delay
leave out - omit
pick out - choose
put off - postpone
talk over - discuss
try out - test
look into - investigate
go over - review
go on - continue

What is more natural when writing a formal letter - to use the phrasal verbs on the left, or their equivalents on the right? (or simply it can't be generalised - it depends on the sense of a sentence)

Thanks,
Joe

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok, here they are:

call off - cancel
find out - discover
hold up - delay
leave out - omit
pick out - choose
put off - postpone
talk over - discuss
try out - test
look into - investigate
go over - review
go on - continue

What is more natural when writing a formal letter - to use the phrasal verbs on the left, or their equivalents on the right? (or simply it can't be generalised - it depends on the sense of a sentence)

Thanks,
Joe

As always, context is everything. It depends on the tone of the sentence, the person you're writing to (formally or otherwise). My personal feeling is that both the verbs and the phrasal verbs would be equally acceptable in any piece of writing.

joeoct

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As always, context is everything. It depends on the tone of the sentence, the person you're writing to (formally or otherwise). My personal feeling is that both the verbs and the phrasal verbs would be equally acceptable in any piece of writing.

If there is an individual case when I don't know clearly whether to use phrasal verb, I will ask you on UsingEnglish.

Last edited:

Mar Rojo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
And there are many examples of formal English on the Internet. Why not look through a few to see whether phrasal verbs are used?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My immediate reaction is that all of the one-word subsitutes are "fancier" words than the phrasal verbs.

That doesn't make the phrasal verbs unsuitable, but if you think that "fancier" = "formal" and you want formal, then I would suggest you use the words on the right.

However, I'm not a fan of fancier. I'm fine with finding something out and don't need to discover it.

Mar Rojo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
However, I'm not a fan of fancier. I'm fine with finding something out and don't need to discover it.

Though it is interesting that the latinate verb, "discover", is much more common in academic papers than "find out".

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Though it is interesting that the latinate verb, "discover", is much more common in academic papers than "find out".
This is perhaps the case, but I can't imagine using "discover" if I want to find out the starting time of a film, whether a hotel accepts pets, or if my video rental-store has received a recently released DVD.

Mar Rojo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
but I can't imagine using "discover" if I want to find out the starting time of a film, whether a hotel accepts pets, or if my video rental-store has received a recently released DVD.

And no one suggested you should, so what is the point you are trying to make?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
And no one suggested you should, so what is the point you are trying to make?
I think the "point he is trying to make" is that, as Barb suggested, "find out" is much more natural than "discover" in everyday English.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I write for a living and I write in a business setting.

Too many people think that business writing is all about being formal, fancified, and, frankly, pompous. I recently saw a post here about the passive saying that it was common in business writing. Oddly, it's the scientists and engineers who use that, not the professional communicators.

I pretty much abhor writing for the educational setting. They often seem more intent on showing how much they know than heping other people understand what they have learned.

I don't know if the OP wanted formal=academic or formal=business or formal=something else. If it's the 2nd of those, go with the phrasal, and readjust your idea of what formal means.

I don't claim to be an expert in academic writing. Only an expert in knowing what I like to read.

Mar Rojo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
I think the "point he is trying to make" is that, as Barb suggested, "find out" is much more natural than "discover" in everyday English.

Yes, I'm sure that's true, but it has got nothing to do with the main question.

Mar Rojo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
and readjust your idea of what formal means.
So what does it mean? And why "readjust" and not "adjust", here?

Status
Not open for further replies.