Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Is this "courting" general dating or the behavior of trying to attract a woman? The dictionary has more meanings of the latter than the former. Do Americans generally use "courting" as dating?

    ex)Silence plays as an important part in the Western Apache's societies as any verbal talk does......The initial stages of courting behavior also require silence; in this case, silence is taken to be a proper indication of the shyness that is expected between two people attempting to enter into a close relationship. They regard talkativeness in such a situation, especially in the female of the pair, as immodest.

  2. #2
    Mannysteps is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Not a teacher

    How I see it:

    courting - seeking or attracting someone's affection or attention

    dating- going out with someone on a regular basis


    M.

  3. #3
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    Not a teacher

    How I see it:

    courting - seeking or attracting someone's affection or attention

    dating- going out with someone on a regular basis


    M.
    But I wonder if they use "courting behavior" as "dating behavior"(I guess not), and if they ever use courting as dating. I'd like to know the trend and it's kind of defined as one of the meaning in the dictionary.

  4. #4
    Mannysteps is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Portugal
      • Current Location:
      • Portugal
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    My uses:

    John has fallen head over heels for this new girl at work. He always arranges having lunch together, always walks her to the tube station and buys her flowers, candy and whathaveyou. He is now building up the courage to invite to the movies and a romantic dinner this weekend. He hopes that all this courting will earn her heart and that soon they'll be dating on a regular basis and maybe one day get married. Who knows?

    Corny, I know, but I hopes it homes in my point. Maybe others would use "courting" and "dating" arbitrarily. I tend not to.

    M.

  5. #5
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mannysteps View Post
    My uses:

    John has fallen head over heels for this new girl at work. He always arranges having lunch together, always walks her to the tube station and buys her flowers, candy and whathaveyou. He is now building up the courage to invite to the movies and a romantic dinner this weekend. He hopes that all this courting will earn her heart and that soon they'll be dating on a regular basis and maybe one day get married. Who knows?

    Corny, I know, but I hopes it homes in my point. Maybe others would use "courting" and "dating" arbitrarily. I tend not to.

    M.
    I'm sorry I don't understand the last line.

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Courting for dating is rather old-fashioned IMO, though you will hear courting couples used. I mostly hear it used when there is a fixed pattern of behaviour in a society like the example you give or with animals that behave in certain ways, in both cases to attract or get things started.

  7. #7
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The initial stages of courting behavior?

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    But I wonder if they use "courting behavior" as "dating behavior"(I guess not), and if they ever use courting as dating. I'd like to know the trend and it's kind of defined as one of the meaning in the dictionary.
    "Courting" is not used much any more, apart from describing animal behaviour or, as you've described in sociology or anthropology.
    You'll probably never need to use "courting".

Similar Threads

  1. relishing, courting; languishing
    By yuheci in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2009, 20:50
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2009, 14:30
  3. courting disgrace?
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2008, 09:31
  4. Stages of a lesson - Writing
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2008, 14:16
  5. education stages
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2003, 21:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •