The initial stages of courting behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is this "courting" general dating or the behavior of trying to attract a woman? The dictionary has more meanings of the latter than the former. Do Americans generally use "courting" as dating?

ex)Silence plays as an important part in the Western Apache's societies as any verbal talk does......The initial stages of courting behavior also require silence; in this case, silence is taken to be a proper indication of the shyness that is expected between two people attempting to enter into a close relationship. They regard talkativeness in such a situation, especially in the female of the pair, as immodest.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Not a teacher

How I see it:

courting - seeking or attracting someone's affection or attention

dating- going out with someone on a regular basis

M.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Not a teacher

How I see it:

courting - seeking or attracting someone's affection or attention

dating- going out with someone on a regular basis

M.

But I wonder if they use "courting behavior" as "dating behavior"(I guess not), and if they ever use courting as dating. I'd like to know the trend and it's kind of defined as one of the meaning in the dictionary.

Mannysteps

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
My uses:

John has fallen head over heels for this new girl at work. He always arranges having lunch together, always walks her to the tube station and buys her flowers, candy and whathaveyou. He is now building up the courage to invite to the movies and a romantic dinner this weekend. He hopes that all this courting will earn her heart and that soon they'll be dating on a regular basis and maybe one day get married. Who knows?

Corny, I know, but I hopes it homes in my point. Maybe others would use "courting" and "dating" arbitrarily. I tend not to.

M.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My uses:

John has fallen head over heels for this new girl at work. He always arranges having lunch together, always walks her to the tube station and buys her flowers, candy and whathaveyou. He is now building up the courage to invite to the movies and a romantic dinner this weekend. He hopes that all this courting will earn her heart and that soon they'll be dating on a regular basis and maybe one day get married. Who knows?

Corny, I know, but I hopes it homes in my point. Maybe others would use "courting" and "dating" arbitrarily. I tend not to.

M.

I'm sorry I don't understand the last line.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Courting for dating is rather old-fashioned IMO, though you will hear courting couples used. I mostly hear it used when there is a fixed pattern of behaviour in a society like the example you give or with animals that behave in certain ways, in both cases to attract or get things started.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But I wonder if they use "courting behavior" as "dating behavior"(I guess not), and if they ever use courting as dating. I'd like to know the trend and it's kind of defined as one of the meaning in the dictionary.
"Courting" is not used much any more, apart from describing animal behaviour or, as you've described in sociology or anthropology.
You'll probably never need to use "courting".

Status
Not open for further replies.