Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi everybody: I've seen the following sentence, "The minute I've finished this course, I'm going to change the world" and I wonder about the use of the present perfect here. Why? It's an idea that refers to the future. Could anyone help me? Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everybody: I've seen the following sentence, "The minute I've finished this course, I'm going to change the world" and I wonder about the use of the present perfect here. Why? It's an idea that refers to the future. Could anyone help me? Thanks!

Substitute 'when'.

When I've finished this course.... and When I finish this course...
are both accceptable, but - as I hear it - the present perfect focuses more on the event of finishing: 'When + past perfect...' suggests 'The moment I've finished - the day after I get my results - I'm going to...'. Using 'The minute' in place of 'When' reinforces that suggestion. On the other hand 'When + present' suggests 'Some time after I finish - maybe I'll take a year out volunteering in Africa first, but eventually - I'm going to....

But (and this is not a matter of personal preference or perception ;-)) 'When I will finish...' is just wrong.

b

Intoarut

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Substitute 'when'.

When I've finished this course.... and When I finish this course...
are both accceptable, but - as I hear it - the present perfect focuses more on the event of finishing: 'When + past perfect...' suggests 'The moment I've finished - the day after I get my results - I'm going to...'. Using 'The minute' in place of 'When' reinforces that suggestion. On the other hand 'When + present' suggests 'Some time after I finish - maybe I'll take a year out volunteering in Africa first, but eventually - I'm going to....

But (and this is not a matter of personal preference or perception ;-)) 'When I will finish...' is just wrong.

b

Very clear explanation! :up: I'd naturally say "When I finish..." (never will finish! :shock:) and because I connect the present perfect tense with the past, its usage to refer to the future sounded weird to me. Thank you!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can say, "The minute I finish this course ..."
Obviously using "When ..." is also correct, but it's not a solution if you want to use the construction "The minute I finish ..."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can say, "The minute I finish this course ..." Yes indeed. ;-)
Obviously using "When ..." is also correct, but it's not a solution if you want to use the construction "The minute I finish ..."

It wasn't meant to be. I was inviting the OP to consider the similarity with 'when'. I didn't make this clear.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.