Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello!
I'm writing in this forum cause I have some doubts about a sentence:

"A man named "SPAM KING" had been arrested. "

SPAM KING" is considered by my teacher as a SUBJ.COMPLEMENT....but I don't understand why!
Is the subj.complement the structure which is obligatory after a copula or linking verbs?
I think that "TO NAME" is neither a COPULA nor a LINKING VERB...so, why SPAM KING is a Subj.Complement?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What do you think named is here?

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello!
I'm writing in this forum cause I have some doubts about a sentence:

"A man named "SPAM KING" had been arrested. "

SPAM KING" is considered by my teacher as a SUBJ.COMPLEMENT....but I don't understand why!
Is the subj.complement the structure which is obligatory after a copula or linking verbs?
I think that "TO NAME" is neither a COPULA nor a LINKING VERB...so, why SPAM KING is a Subj.Complement?

The term 'subject complement' is not restricted to occurrence after copular (or 'linking') verbs, but is applied also - quite correctly by your teacher in this case - to phrase-elements required after the passive forms of factitive verbs, such as 'name' or 'elect'. (Your sentence is simply an abbreviated form of

A man who was named the Spam King...)

Note that, if those same verbs are used actively, the resulting form will be an object complement, e.g. 'John' in

They named the baby John.

starry_eyes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you Philo! What a great explication! I have found it very, very usefull!:up:

The term 'subject complement' is not restricted to occurrence after copular (or 'linking') verbs, but is applied also - quite correctly by your teacher in this case - to phrase-elements required after the passive forms of factitive verbs, such as 'name' or 'elect'. (Your sentence is simply an abbreviated form of

A man who was named the Spam King...)

Note that, if those same verbs are used actively, the resulting form will be an object complement, e.g. 'John' in

They named the baby John.

Status
Not open for further replies.