• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

A letter to check out

I was asked to translate a letter - demand to be sent to a hard rock band... Will anybody be so kind and check it out? Thanks.

Deer Deep Purple!

We know of an incredible amount of mail (and e-mails) you receive, and obviously you donít have time to read every letter from start to end; in spite of all this we chose this/the very same way to ask you for a thing. First of all, let us introduce ourselves in a few words and explain how we got on to the whole idea.
    Since we are mostly young people (about 20) who donít remember Deep Purpleís beginnings and the fist climax of the band, we feel sort of deprived, sort of robbed of the chance to experience the nostalgy for the sixties and seventies (music) our parents and other middle-aged people talk/rave about.
    Besides, we have often been put/got into/in both unpleasant and funny situations trying to explain to our mates, who listen to/fancy contemporary pop or hip-hop and rap or whatever is really Ąinď, why we love music of the golden sixties and seventies. We feel that every kind of music has its own qualities and its followers, thatís why/SO we donít condemn any genre, even if we must admit that we more often than not donít understand what can nowadays be referred to as music. Everyone of us has a lot of his or her favourite bands and singers of many genres; however, thereís a band loved by all Ė we find Deep Purpleís music is unique, timeless and the one and only. Everyone of us has/prefers his or her own favourite/preferred piece, LP, live album, mark; however, thereís a feature/thing we have in common Ė we got into Deep Purpleís music rather lately, some of us as late as two or three years ago, letís say at the age one begins to form and sharpen his or her opinion, perceive music as something deeply important and broaden his or her horizons.

Making up a tour setlist is without any doubt a very difficult task, since the/a list of Deep Purple/PurpleĎs songs is rather long and a/the two hour set is just not long enough to play them all, especially with Deep Purple satisfying the fans with their famous instrumental jams/breaks that make a Deep Purple/every concert such a extraordinary/remarkable venue. We also realize that during the concert you get a lot of requests to play the favourite piece of this guy and that gal etc.; a Deep Purple song needs a proper rehearsal and thatís why we find the/these requests quite unreal.

It seems like (a) time we revealed our wish. Itís not much of a breakthrough, not much a of revolutionary demand Ė weíre talking about Child In Time. We all know it brings a lot of difficulties to play the song live, we know there were many reasons that made you remove it from the setlist (the last year to see it regularly was 1995, then it could be heard only at the Great Britain concerts and the Eastern Europe tour in February and March 2002) Ė the singer is overstrained and when performed frequently, the song can have a deep impact on his/the voice; we guess it may evoke past quarrels with Ritchie Blackmore as well. But then again, we can see many reasons for which Child In Time should be back in the setlist. It is one of the most crucial songs of the rock music history. In many Middle and East European states, for a long decades tied by the tyranical communist regime, it is considered to be a freedom anthem. And finally, as far as we can say/tell from available records, in recent years (2003, 2004 and 2005) Ianís voice has been by far in its best shape in 20 years (ie. better than it was at the 84Ė88 and 93Ė95 concerts). We definitely donít want Ianís voice to be damaged in any way; however, weíd love to see the song on your setlist again. If played, for instance, as a special bonus/encore at a concert with great/splendid/superb atmosphere, we are alnost sure either Ian or his voice would come to no harm. We can hardly imagine a better reward for us, the fans. Letís stop beating about the bush: we love that song. And because of our age(s) we havenít had a chance to hear it live; nevertheless, we believe there is still a way to make a change. As a matter of fact, the Czechs did hear it in concert (in October 1993); to be perfectly honest, it was far from being an outstanding performance.

One can find/see yet another example of Child In Timeís singificance: recently, there was a poll held by Radio Beat (a Prague rock-orientated station, in fact the/a station with the second largest audidence share, as for the capital city) in wich listeners would choose Ąthe best rock song ever madeď; surprisingly and expected by hardly anybody, it was Child In Time that won the competition, having beaten/beating both the silver Pink Floyd with their Another Brick In the Wall Pt. 2 and the bronze Led Zeppelinís Stairway to Heaven.

Time flies and we now must say good-bye. Anyway, see you in February, at one of the Rapture of the Deep tour concerts.
    Last edited by Gilbert; 15-Sep-2005 at 19:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A letter to check out

"We are aware of the amount of mail" should be like that... I'm too lazy to do the rest. Why don't you do it yourself?

Gilbert is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A letter to check out

I'm sorry, it was like "We know/are aware of" when I decided to pick the first one. Looks like a pretty stupid mistake, doesn't it. The rest is ok, I'd just like someone to check its "englishness", that's all.