Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The translation goes "not every amphibian is healthy", but I guess it's wrong, I think it's "the situation is not good especially in terms of the healthyness of the environment" Am I right?
And additionally, if you happen to know why frogs are regarded as ecosystem's canary, please let me know.

ex)Frogs and other amphibians are good indicators of environment change for two reasons. First, they live in water and on land, and disturbances to either of these habitats can affect their health and abundance. Second, frogs live in almost constant contact with the environment......The eggs, too, are generally delicate and unprotected and therefore vulnerable to contaminants and environmental disturbance. Many biologists regard frogs as an ecosystem's canary in a mine; when amphibians begin to disappear, it is a clear warning that all is not well in their environment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The translation goes "not every amphibian is healthy", but I guess it's wrong,
Which translation do you mean? If you have that as a paraphrase of all is not well in their environment, it's not right.

I think it's "the situation is not good especially in terms of the healthyness of the environment" Am I right?
That's what all is not well means, yes.
And additionally, if you happen to know why frogs are regarded as ecosystem's canary, please let me know.

ex)Frogs and other amphibians are good indicators of environment change for two reasons. First, they live in water and on land, and disturbances to either of these habitats can affect their health and abundance. Second, frogs live in almost constant contact with the environment......The eggs, too, are generally delicate and unprotected and therefore vulnerable to contaminants and environmental disturbance. Many biologists regard frogs as an ecosystem's canary in a mine; when amphibians begin to disappear, it is a clear warning that all is not well in their environment.
Coal miners used to take canaries with them down into the mines. When toxic gases built up, the canaries would die (before the miner's could detect the gases). The dying canaries were a sign that the environment was unhealthy.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Coal miner's used to take canaries with them down into the mines. When toxic gases built up, the canaries would die (before the miner's could detect the gases). The dying canaries were a sign that the environment was unhealthy.

Thank you so much for your valuable information, You are the man!!!:-D:-D:-D

Which translation do you mean? If you have that as a paraphrase of all is not well in their environment, it's not right. => My material's Korean translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.