Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
I am going to be teaching young learners and teenagers. I have previously been teaching adults using the HeadWay, Natural English and English File series. I was wondering if there is a specific text book anyone could recommend for young learners aged 4 plus, and another for teenagers please?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

vexed

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
China
For ages 4-6 I recommend the Longman series of books. They're mostly well structured aside from the dreaded Longman 4!

For ages 7-10 I recommend a series a books called SPEC. We use them at my school and they're very well set out. However, I think they might be specifically designed for our chain of schools so I'm not sure if they're commercially available.

For teenagers, I'm not entirely sure - you could try LiveWire. For teenagers you can try using NEF or Cutting Edge but you'll need to supplement a lot to bring things more to their level of English and interests.

Hope that helps.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am going to be teaching young learners and teenagers. I have previously been teaching adults using the HeadWay, Natural English and English File series. I was wondering if there is a specific text book anyone could recommend for young learners aged 4 plus, and another for teenagers please?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How about teaching with no textbook?

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Yeah, for the young ones, I don't think it makes a massive amount of difference. I use Fingerprints for 4-6 year olds and Way Ahead for 6-10, but I barely even open the book in class. I teach a page every lesson, and obviously it's useful for them to have a workbook that they can use to revise at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.