Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
here i will firstly describe the context,i am translating the subtitle of an UK tv series,Luther.and there are some sentences that i can't get it.the dialogue includes three people:G(girl),P(policeman),F(policeman's friend),the Policman knew the girl and want to help her get rid of being a whore,F knew the policeman very well.here are the dialogue:
P: I am gona ask you a question
G: dont' ask me questions,i hate questions
P:do u want out
G:eek:f what
P:eek:f this(out of being a whore,i think)
G:dream on,dreamer.these people(meaning the pimp)cut off your ears for 50p
P:say i can make it happen
G:is this some sort of sescue type thing
P:dont's ask questions,i dont like questions
G:you're just totally disco
F:yeah,he is totally disco
then they gonna to meet the pimp
and F says let's disco
i think the two disco here means differently,i think the girl says the policeman is disco for he copy her words 'i don;t like question",i'm not sure about it....
so someone who can help me with this?wating for ur answer,thanks:lol:

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
here i will firstly describe the context,i am translating the subtitle of an UK tv series,Luther.and there are some sentences that i can't get it.the dialogue includes three people:G(girl),P(policeman),F(policeman's friend),the Policman knew the girl and want to help her get rid of being a whore,F knew the policeman very well.here are the dialogue:
P: I am gona ask you a question
G: dont' ask me questions,i hate questions
P:do u want out
G:eek:f what
P:eek:f this(out of being a whore,i think)
G:dream on,dreamer.these people(meaning the pimp)cut off your ears for 50p
P:say i can make it happen
G:is this some sort of sescue type thing
P:dont's ask questions,i dont like questions
G:you're just totally disco
F:yeah,he is totally disco
then they gonna to meet the pimp
and F says let's disco
i think the two disco here means differently,i think the girl says the policeman is disco for he copy her words 'i don;t like question",i'm not sure about it....
so someone who can help me with this?wating for ur answer,thanks:lol:

Not a teacher only a native.

This is research for you... I have found the Luther episode you were watching, the link is here:
BBC - BBC One Programmes - Luther: Series 2

The converstation starts at about 22:10 minutes in.

The characters definitely say 'disco', I think the woman is using the word as slang, to suggest that the detective is rather unorthodox or unconventional.

I think she is using the term 'disco' like 'mad' is sometimes used in slang, (not meaning someome is actually insane, but rather they are a bit 'out there'). Sorry I can't explain this clearer.

The second time 'disco' is used, is when the friend enters and only hears the girl calling the man 'disco'. I think the friend is just going along with the girl, jokingly calling the man 'disco' even though he probably doesn't know what it means.

The last time 'disco' is used is when the friend says, 'let's disco'. I take this to have a slightly different meaning, this time 'disco' means, 'let's go'. Like someone would say, 'let's do this!', or, 'let's rock' when they are about to do something fun or possibly dangerous.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not a teacher only a native. I hope this helps though.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The first two 'disco's mean 'mad' - I think it's a reference (originally) to the drug culture behind 'clubbing' [='going to night-clubs' {Use this word with care, as clubbing is also what happens to baby seals}].

And 'let's do this' is right - perhaps also with the implication that what they're going to do is not entirely legal; but I might be reading into this more than is there, as I did see about 10 minutes of this episode {there's 10 mins I'll never get back :)} and know a bit about the (ridiculous) story.

b

Lindt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up: The first two 'disco's mean 'mad' - I think it's a reference (originally) to the drug culture behind 'clubbing' [='going to night-clubs' {Use this word with care, as clubbing is also what happens to baby seals}].

And 'let's do this' is right - perhaps also with the implication that what they're going to do is not entirely legal; but I might be reading into this more than is there, as I did see about 10 minutes of this episode {there's 10 mins I'll never get back :)} and know a bit about the (ridiculous) story.

b
“they're going to do is not entirely legal”,i agree with that,thanks for ur answer,:-D,but what do u mean by {there's 10 mins I'll never get back }?

Lindt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not a teacher only a native.

This is research for you... I have found the Luther episode you were watching, the link is here:

The converstation starts at about 22:10 minutes in.

The characters definitely say 'disco', I think the woman is using the word as slang, to suggest that the detective is rather unorthodox or unconventional.

I think she is using the term 'disco' like 'mad' is sometimes used in slang, (not meaning someome is actually insane, but rather they are a bit 'out there'). Sorry I can't explain this clearer.

The second time 'disco' is used, is when the friend enters and only hears the girl calling the man 'disco'. I think the friend is just going along with the girl, jokingly calling the man 'disco' even though he probably doesn't know what it means.

The last time 'disco' is used is when the friend says, 'let's disco'. I take this to have a slightly different meaning, this time 'disco' means, 'let's go'. Like someone would say, 'let's do this!', or, 'let's rock' when they are about to do something fun or possibly dangerous.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not a teacher only a native. I hope this helps though.
thanks soooo much!!i agree with ur opinion,u really do help me with this!\(^o^)/

Status
Not open for further replies.