Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm writing a personal statement for grad school and I am having a bit of trouble phrasing the second sentence. (I posted the preceding sentence for context purposes):

I questioned at a very young age why people and nations are unable to get along and fail to come together in a better way to resolve problems. I initially began to wonder this through the first big purchase my parents made when they immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1989, when I was a girl of four years old, was a beautifully illustrated multivolumed World War II encyclopedia

I would really appreciate suggestions!

Thank you so much! :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm writing a personal statement for grad school and I am having a bit of trouble phrasing the second sentence. (I posted the preceding sentence for context purposes):

I questioned at a very young age why people and nations are unable to get along and fail to come together in a better way to resolve problems. I initially began to wonder this through the first big purchase my parents made when they immigrated to the United States from Russia in 1989, when I was a girl of four years old, was a beautifully illustrated multivolumed World War II encyclopedia

I would really appreciate suggestions!

Thank you so much! :)

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

"I began wondering about this after my parents, who had emigrated to

the United States when I was four years old, bought their first big

purchase, a beautifully illustrated multivolumed encyclopedia of World

War II."

James

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"I began wondering about this after my parents, who had emigrated to the United States when I was four years old, bought their first big purchase, a beautifully illustrated multivolumed encyclopedia of World
War II."
A great improvement. I would make three minor changes; I prefer (opinion only)... [STRIKE]bought[/STRIKE] made their first big purchase, a beautifully illustrated multi-volume[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] encyclopedia

Lili86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all so much for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.