English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

As the module weeks are coming to an end, I am flooded with my students' works. This time I am not sure about the expression "soon the so much scared of followed".
Here is the lines from a story:
- So self-confident he was and certainly wouldn`t listen to any reasoning.
- Sure. And soon we saw prices going up and, what we were scared of the most, clients leaving. Soon the so much scared of followed. The higher the prices went, the fewer customers bought and many retailers backed out. In a word the company priced itself out of the market.

Apparently the student wanted to say that the thing the company dreaded the most happened. But how do I put it the right way-soon the thing we dreaded most happened or soon the scariest happened?

Thank you for the time and help.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

As the module weeks are coming to an end, I am flooded with my students' works. This time I am not sure about the expression "soon the so much scared of followed".
Here is the lines from a story:
- So self-confident he was and certainly wouldn`t listen to any reasoning.
- Sure. And soon we saw prices going up and, what we were scared of the most, clients leaving. Soon the so much scared of followed. The higher the prices went, the fewer customers bought and many retailers backed out. In a word the company priced itself out of the market.

Apparently the student wanted to say that the thing the company dreaded the most happened. But how do I put it the right way-soon the hthing we dreaded most happened or soon the scariest happened?

Thank you for the time and help.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Vectra:

Maybe (?) something like this:

-- So self-confident was he that he refused to listen to reason.

-- With prices soaring, customers started leaving, and soon followed

what we had most feared: the company had priced itself out of the

market.

Sincerely,

James

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Soon, the thing we had feared most came true. ???

A lot of people would be content (if not happier) with a simple past. I think the past perfect helps to underline the sequence of events: they feared something and then it happened; {after it had happened they stopped fearing it).

I think 'came true' would work better with a preceding fearful belief: e.g. 'the nightmare came true'. What sprang to mind first was 'came to pass', but that sounds a bit Biblical;-). You could just say 'happened', but I feel that makes it a bit hard to parse after the 'what...' exprression.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.