Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?

Stop beating a dead horse. You’ve made up your mind to continue this ridiculous marriage.

beat a dead horse = beat the air, mill the wind

make up one’s mind = decide, make a decision

V.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?

Stop beating a dead horse. You’ve made up your mind to continue this ridiculous marriage.

beat a dead horse = beat the air, mill the wind I haven't heard "beat the air" used much in AmE, but a quick search seems to indicate that it is the same as "beat a dead horse." "Mill the wind" is unknown to me.

make up one’s mind = decide, make a decision Yes.

V.
beat a dead horse - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
"This is Mr. Mont" said Norah Curfew, "who made that splendid speech in the House..." "Beating the air". I'm afraid." (J. Galsworthy, "The Silver Spoon")

mill = Slang. To fight with the fists; box

beat the air = beat the wind = mill the air = mill the wind = carry water in a sieve = thresh over old straw = fish in the air = plou the sands = drop a bucket in an empty well = pour water into a sieve

V.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"This is Mr. Mont" said Norah Curfew, "who made that splendid speech in the House..." "Beating the air". I'm afraid." (J. Galsworthy, "The Silver Spoon")

mill = Slang. To fight with the fists; box

beat the air = beat the wind = mill the air = mill the wind = carry water in a sieve = thresh over old straw = fish in the air = plou the sands = drop a bucket in an empty well = pour water into a sieve

V.
How does all that relate to "beating a dead horse"? (I know it as "flogging a dead horse", by the way)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
My grandson an infant child knows the mentioned of you equivalent of the expression in question likewise but this doesn’t stand for the implication he is as sharp as a needle. I couldn’t see any difference between them both expression in your replies ) and the mentioned of me very allied expressions.

V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.