• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

they found out an outstanding amount

Hello,

Could you please tell me what is wrong with this part of the story one of my students turned in after the module test was over:

- Now it`s clear why you were left in dust by your competitors. Are you in the red? What is the Board going to do?
    - Not completely, but when the auditors went through the company books with a fine tooth comb last month they found out an outstanding amount on the company`s account and that some orders were backdated.

I am not sure about "they found out". I would use "dug up" or "discovered" or just "found".
    I am not familiar with Accountancy terms in English, but I have a gut feeling that "an outstanding amount on the company's account" is wrong.

Thank you in advance.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: they found out an outstanding amount

Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello,

Could you please tell me what is wrong with this part of the story one of my students turned in after the module test was over:

- Now it`s clear why you were left in the dust by your competitors. Are you in the red? What is the Board going to do?
    - Not completely, but when the auditors went through the company books with a fine tooth comb last month they found out an outstanding amount on the company`s account and that some orders were backdated.

I am not sure about "they found out". I would use "dug up" or "discovered" or just "found".
    I am not familiar with Accountancy terms in English, but I have a gut feeling that "an outstanding amount on the c ompany's account" is wrong.

Thank you in advance.
    It feels a bit idiom-heavy. and the response is a bit of a non sequitur [or, rather, it does follow (Latin sequitur - 'it follows'), but it follows the first question rather than the second].

I would just use 'noticed' or 'spotted' the discrepancy.

'An out standing amount on the company's account' is not wrong, but it doesn't fit the context - which is about 'books' or 'accounts'. A company's account is something else - a client has an account with a supplier - and this is the sort of account on which there may be 'an outstanding amount'.

b