Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Word???


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    New Word???

    Hi,

    I want to know if a word as "anhistorian" exists in English.

    Please help me.

    99999


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: New Word???

    Quote Originally Posted by 99999
    Hi,

    I want to know if a word as "anhistorian" exists in English.

    Please help me.

    99999
    You may want to use one of the on-line dictionaries for further research. Do you mean "a historian" by any changce?


    • Join Date: Sep 2005
    • Posts: 2
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: New Word???

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    You may want to use one of the on-line dictionaries for further research. Do you mean "a historian" by any changce?
    Hi Twostep,

    I have tried many dictionaries...M erriam- Webster's, American Heritage Dict, Hyperdictionary, but cudn't find t his w ord.. and i don't mean a historian . Any answers???


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: New Word???

    Quote Originally Posted by 99999
    Hi Twostep,

    I have tried many dictionaries...M erriam- Webster's, American Heritage Dict, Hyperdictionary, but cudn't find t his w ord.. and i don't mean a historian . Any answers???
    Can you give me a bit more - where did you come across the term, context ...?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: New Word???

    It'll be 'an historian' I think. Some people use 'an' with the word rather than 'a'.

  1. Latoof's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 533
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: New Word???

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It'll be 'an historian' I think. Some people use 'an' with the word rather than 'a'.
    Does this have anything to do with the origin with the word? I mean that in old or maybe in the middle English words starting with h used to be breceeded by "an" as the h was silant... and treated as a vowel!!!


    Lolo

Similar Threads

  1. The meaning with no word . . .
    By ScaryEders in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-May-2009, 08:15
  2. One word
    By sharath in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2005, 17:36
  3. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-May-2004, 14:26
  4. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 16:30
  5. Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-May-2003, 23:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •