English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi,
I studied that we can not use preposition before this, next, last and every.
But there is a sentence here "We often eat in this restaurant" I found it in an English book. Now what about it? Correct or no using of "in" before "this"?

Thanks for your help.
Ani

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
I studied that we can not use preposition before this, next, last and every.
But there is a sentence here "We often eat in this restaurant" I found it in an English book. Now what about it? Correct or no using of "in" before "this"?

Thanks for your help.
Ani
Of course you can use a preposition before those words.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The rule that you were told is not a good one to go by. I agree with the previous post, you can use propositions for all of those I think, although I'm having some trouble coming up with examples for "next". Does anybody have one?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The rule that you were told is not a good one to go by. I agree with the previous post, you can use propositions for all of those I think, although I'm having some trouble coming up with examples for "next". Does anybody have one?
I shall be in England from this Monday until next Friday.

mfyates

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
France
This tip probably works if you restrict it to time clauses concerning events. I can't think of a use of "this week", "last Wednesday", "every month", with a preposition.
Note, however, that it only works with events. One can say "In every month of the year there are at least 28 days." In other situations it doesn't work: "On every occasion I have seen him, he has been late." "At last he arrived, full of apologies", "In this case...". With "next" I find I have to cheat, "First Joan got on the boat. Peter got on next."
Yet another useless "rule" I would say.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't think of a use of "this week", "last Wednesday", "every month", with a preposition.[/QUOTE]He stayed with me from last Wednesday to this week.

I am not sure when I began the essay, but I know it was before last Monday. I finished it by last Wednesday evening, so I was able to go to the pub.

She looks older with every month that passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.