piggy386 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Will be and Would be

Hi,
    Can someone tell me why the use of will be is more preferable than the use of would be in this sentence

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
    (A) that they will, or could,

(B) that they would, or could

(C) they will be or could,

(D) think that they will be or could

(E) think the power stations would or could

BTW, the official answer is E.
    Thanks.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will be and Would be

I would use a) because itthey both follow on from the verb 'view', which is in the present. I don't see why we should move from the concrete to the hypothetical here. They know there are unsafe, but have concret ideas about the future. I don't agree with the official answer, I'm afraid.

piggy386 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Will be and Would be

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I would use a) because itthey both follow on from the verb 'view', which is in the present. I don't see why we should move from the concrete to the hypothetical here. They know there are unsafe, but have concret ideas about the future. I don't agree with the official answer, I'm afraid.
    Hi tdol,
    The official guide for GMAT explained that "The corrected sentence must have a compound main verb view…but (verb); that is, the best answer above must begin with a verb that can be linked with view to complete the construction. Consequently, choices A, B, and C are incorrect." But it didn't explain further why E was not as good as D. I thought using "think" will parallel to the use of "view" and explicitly stated "power stations" would be more concise than "they".
    Last edited by piggy386; 17-Sep-2005 at 06:32.