[Vocabulary] Is it "tweeted" or "twittered" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eureka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it "tweeted" or "twittered" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter"?

Hi! teachers

I'm wondering what is the correct word between "twittered" and "tweeted" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter". (ex: I twittered that ----)

Do they are differently used depending on contexts?

If both are o.k, then what is the most frequently used one to native speakers?

If you come up with good examples with the verb 'twitter' or 'tweet', please let me know.

And one more thing, when native speakers used "google' as a verb in " I just googled it", The verb means "searced information on the internet (irrespective of types of seach engine)" or "searched information with google."

I think the second one is correct because I've never heard I googled it with yahoo!. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you millions in advance :)

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Is it "tweeted" or "twittered" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter"?

Hi! teachers

I'm wondering what is the correct word between "twittered" and "tweeted" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter". (ex: I twittered that ----)

Do they are differently used depending on contexts?

If both are o.k, then what is the most frequently used one to native speakers?

If you come up with good examples with the verb 'twitter' or 'tweet', please let me know.

And one more thing, when native speakers used "google' as a verb in " I just googled it", The verb means "searced information on the internet (irrespective of types of seach engine)" or "searched information with google."

I think the second one is correct because I've never heard I googled it with yahoo!. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you millions in advance :)

Not a teacher only a native.

By far the most common expression for an announcement on Twitter is a 'tweet'.

A lot of television shows now have an interactive element where they ask the viewers to 'tweet' their questions or opinions to them.

With regards to your second question, I would say 'Google it' refers to the use of Google only. That's just my opinion however, I can imagine some people using the expression when they have used another search engine, but I think the majority of people would use Google.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Is it "tweeted" or "twittered" when it comes to mentioning "posting to Twitter"?

:up: And you may have noted that the word tweet can be used both as a noun (first example) or as a verb (second example). I've heard 'twitter' used, but coming from the sort of person who would never use Twitter - and I think the user was intentionally using the wrong word. (John Humphreys, the famous Grumpy Old Man, used to do this. I haven't listened to him recently, so he may by now have adopted the much-despised neologism).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.