Are you teaching or have you taught in Eastern Europe??? Advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack410

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just looking for details about working in Eastern Europe in places like Budapest, Prague etc.
Generally would just like to know what the job market is like for a newly qualified English male CELTA teacher (35, no degree).
What are the conditions like? what are the schools like? what is the pay like? what is the standard of living like?
Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just looking for details about working in Eastern Europe in places like Budapest, Prague etc.
Generally would just like to know what the job market is like for a newly qualified English male CELTA teacher (35, no degree).
What are the conditions like? what are the schools like? what is the pay like? what is the standard of living like?
Thanks
For Prague, the answer comes in one word - rough.

There are jobs around, but the pay and the conditions are not good at the moment, and Prague is nowhere near as cheap to live in as it was when I arrived thirteen years ago. You will be able to earn enough to survive, but you may be travelling all over town to get from class to class, withh a fair few early morning starts and late finishes.

The compensations are that Prague is a beautiful place to live in, and is centrally situated for travel. I have always found Czechs very pleasant people to teach.

If you have specific questions, PM/email me, and I may be able to give more useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.