• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speech Problem...

Hi All,

I have some problem with speaking to others.
    My writing skill is fine. However, when I speak to others, I have some problem expressing myself (I have problem finding the appropriate words when speaking) as well as a lot of sentence structure problems such as using the incorrect grammars, vocab.
    This is not the case when drafting out emails & letters.

Is this a form of speech disorder?
    Any idea how I can overcome this problem?
    Would it be due to self-esteem problem?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speech Problem...

Quote Originally Posted by salt&pepper View Post
    Hi All,

I have some problem with speaking to others.
    My writing skill is fine. However, when I speak to others, I have some problem expressing myself (I have problem finding the appropriate words when speaking) as well as a lot of sentence structure problems such as using the incorrect grammars, vocab.
    This is not the case when drafting out emails & letters.

Is this a form of speech disorder?
    Any idea how I can overcome this problem?
    Would it be due to self-esteem problem?
    Are you talking about when you speak your native language or when you're speaking a foreign language?

If it's when speaking a foreign language, then that's entirely normal. I have a fairly intermediate level of Spanish - when I'm reading or writing. The second I try to speak to anyone, everything I know disappears out of my head and I speak complete rubbish!!

If it happens when you're speaking your native language, then it could be a self-confidence/shyness issue.

In both cases, my suggestions is practice! Practice at home, alone, in front of the mirror. Talk to the TV. Talk to the radio. Talk talk talk. Record yourself speaking. Don't read something from a book. Just switch on your webcam or a voice recorder and just start talking as if you were talking to another person. Talk more than usual to people in shops, on buses, people you don't know and probably won't ever see again!

salt&pepper is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Are you talking about when you speak your native language or when you're speaking a foreign language?

If it's when speaking a foreign language, then that's entirely normal. I have a fairly intermediate level of Spanish - when I'm reading or writing. The second I try to speak to anyone, everything I know disappears out of my head and I speak complete rubbish!!

If it happens when you're speaking your native language, then it could be a self-confidence/shyness issue.

In both cases, my suggestions is practice! Practice at home, alone, in front of the mirror. Talk to the TV. Talk to the radio. Talk talk talk. Record yourself speaking. Don't read something from a book. Just switch on your webcam or a voice recorder and just start talking as if you were talking to another person. Talk more than usual to people in shops, on buses, people you don't know and probably won't ever see again!
    Yes, I'm referring to conversing in a foreign language.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    I guess it's probably due to self-esteem issue.

Any idea how to overcome fear of being mocked/laugh at for using the wrong sentence structure?

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by salt&pepper View Post
    Yes, I'm referring to conversing in a foreign language.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    I guess it's probably due to self-esteem issue.

Any idea how to overcome fear of being mocked/laugh at for using the wrong sentence structure?
    I think what you need to remember is that most people will be impressed that you have any ability at all in a foreign language. They are not going to mock you or laugh at you for getting a tense wrong or pronouncing something badly. It doesn't matter. What is important is communicating. Is your message getting across? If you don't speak, then you can't possibly communicate.

I don't know any tricks, you just have to think about what it's like the other way round. When someone speaks to you in your language, but they are not a native speaker, do you expect them to get everything right? Do you laugh at them every time they make a mistake? I think the answer is probably "No!" You listen carefully, work out what they are saying and answer them. If you think it might help, you might correct something they've said if it's a big problem (like they have completely the wrong word for something) but otherwise you wouldn't mock them or make them feel self-conscious, surely? So why do you think people will do it to you?

As I said, it's entirely normal to be shy but you just need to take a deep breath, remember that it's simply not possible to get everything right in a language (even if you're a native speaker sometimes!) and just get on with it. If you don't do it, it will never improve.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Jun-2011 at 17:41. Reason: typo