Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it possible to buy things by the use of ATM card at a store?
What is the difference between a credit card and an ATM card?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here in England, I use my credit card to buy stuff in stores, restaurants etc, and the company sends me a bill for all the purchases at the end of the month.

I use my debit card (AE ATM card, I believe) to draw money out of service tills (which is what I call ATMs) and also to buy stuff in stores - but when I do that the money leaves my bank account straight away.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Is it possible to buy things by the use of ATM card at a store?
What is the difference between a credit card and an ATM card?
Different companies have different cards. I can use both my credit card and my debit card at an ATM.
There is no necessary relationship between a credit card, and being able to use it at an ATM. They're two different concepts. In fact, I'm not sure whether anyone issues an 'ATM card' which cannot be used elsewhere for transactions.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
then it means that they do somewhat the same job, don't they?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
then it means that they do somewhat the same job, don't they?
That's one way of looking at it. I see it this way: there is no such thing as an "ATM card". You apply for a credit or debit card, and you either can or can't use it at an ATM, depending on what you've arranged with the bank.
You can't assume that an ATM card will be a credit card, or that a credit card will be an ATM card.
If any of your cards works at an ATM, then you could call it an ATM card.

PS: If you have an 'ATM card', you would have to check with your bank about whether it is a credit card or a debit card.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's one way of looking at it. I see it this way: there is no such thing as an "ATM card". You apply for a credit or debit card, and you either can or can't use it at an ATM, depending on what you've arranged with the bank.
You can't assume that an ATM card will be a credit card, or that a credit card will be an ATM card.
If any of your cards works at an ATM, then you could call it an ATM card.

PS: If you have an 'ATM card', you would have to check with your bank about whether it is a credit card or a debit card.

Here in the US, bank ATM cards are now usually branded with a "Visa" or "MasterCard" logo and are able to be used anywhere those "credit cards" are accepted. So, what used to be only for taking money out of an ATM can now be used to directly debit money from your account virtually anywhere.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think there are still some very basic bank accounts here in the UK where you are issued with a card which only works in an ATM. You cannot hand it over in a shop or a restaurant, or use it on the internet. It's literally a "cash card".

But most people have a credit card and a debit card. They can both be used to pay for goods instantly in a shop. They can both be used in an ATM. However, as the previous poster said, with a debit card, the money disappears from your bank account immediately. With a credit card, you are effectively borrowing the money from the credit card company and at some point in the next few weeks, you will have to pay that credit card bill.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What happens if you don't the whole credit card bill?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
You can pay some of it each month. There is usually a minimum amount that you are required to pay, say 10% of the outstanding balance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you do not pay the balance on a credit card in full, then they apply interest and your balance grows. Interest rates can be as high as 20% and "minimum payments" required by the credit card companies can be as low as a few percent of the balance. It can take decades to pay off a credit card by only making the minimum payment (with no new charges added). The banks are happy to let you do this because they make lots of money on interest.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Interest is the word I was looking for.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Interest" isn't a verb. Well, not in this context, it's not!
I think he might have meant that he forgot to put "pay" in the original question.
Originally Posted by Offroad

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think he might have meant that he forgot to put "pay" in the original question.
Originally Posted by Offroad

Oops! Of course that's what he meant. I misread it. I also failed to correct the spelling of "habit" but remembered to do "forgetting". Time for a rest for me, I think!

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Here in the US, bank ATM cards are now usually branded with a "Visa" or "MasterCard" logo and are able to be used anywhere those "credit cards" are accepted. So, what used to be only for taking money out of an ATM can now be used to directly debit money from your account virtually anywhere.

We have the same system here in Pakistan. I have an ATM Visa card that works for both purposes. :up:
No disrespect but my question is: Is this where we should discuss banking system or English learning problem? What is the piont of learning English in the poster's thread?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We have the same system here in Pakistan. I have an ATM Visa card that works for both purposes. :up:
No disrespect but my question is: Is this where we should discuss banking system or English learning problem? What is the piont of learning English in the poster's thread?

I think the poster wanted to know if we would all understand the same thing in English if he said "ATM card" or if there were other phrases to be used. Admittedly, we veered off course a bit afterwards but that's not necessarily unhelpful.

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I think the poster wanted to know if we would all understand the same thing in English if he said "ATM card" or if there were other phrases to be used. Admittedly, we veered off course a bit afterwards but that's not necessarily unhelpful.

What does course mean here? Why did you use it? Can you please explain, teacher?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Veered off course means wandered off topic.

It was used because ems chose to use a metaphor for stylistic effect.

Rover

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

You can't learn about English in a vacuum. Often culture explains language and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.