Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Guys,
Im doing a report for class about the recent and historical influences on Australian English. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it what do you think have been some factors towards Australian English today and how do you feel about nowadays English.. or even what do you think Australian English will be like in the future?? Feel free to voice all your ideas :D

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Guys,
Im doing a report for class about the recent and historical influences on Australian English. Just wanted to know what you guys think about it what do you think have been some factors towards Australian English today and how do you feel about nowadays English.. or even what do you think Australian English will be like in the future?? Feel free to voice all your ideas :D
What list of influential factors do you have so far?

GGFlamer01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So far I've got like
- Americanisation through american broadcasts/tv shows so that Australian English is becoming more american eng. like.
- Migration --> More variations in language due to different cultural factors
- Computer Technology advancements during late 1900s so more computer field lexemes.
Any others?? I dont have much examples though...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You could consider where words like the following came from: kangaroo, koala, goanna, murri, koori, Wagga Wagga, Wollongong, Uluru, Coonabarabran, Warrumbungles, Canberra.

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hi Guys,

I am going to try to answer your questions but as a global point of view zooming in . In English, I know , we have "American" English influencing the world as well as Latin America. We have ''The Queens'' English, the root of the English language influencing Europe and also the world. English is spoken in South Africa and it also influences other African English speaking countries like Rwanda, Kenya, and the list goes on.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._an_official_language#cite_note-CIAofficial-5http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._an_official_language#cite_note-CIAofficial-5 Then you have heavy English influence in India and Bangladesh .Then there is English in Australia. Ask yourself , What is the place of "Australian" English in the world? Personally , It influences the far east because of it's proximity to the Indonesian islands , China, and Japan ( and these are big markets). Australia is very important for the eastern market. I am very sure that there are waves of Asian immigration and communities in Australia. English is known for it's influence from other cultures. Talk about how "Australian" English coops with neighboring cultures, Is there an understanding and exchange? or does it look down upon other languages and ignore it? How is English valued in Australia? Does it put high expectations in public schools and Universities? What about slang talking , are there any slangs that sends bad images to a specific immigrated ethnicity,group, even city. What about regulations and criteria of the language for those who want to learn English? Does Sydney or Canberra decide what is correct? When they go around the world, are their English understood? I had conversations with Australians and it would always go smoothly. I never had a moment where i didn't understand an Australian. I hope i helped giving you ideas, good luck!!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi Guys,
Australian English has had quite a lot of influence on British English recently- among younger speakers features like rising intonation at the end of a statement have become quite common, so influence works both ways.

IIt influences the far east because of it's proximity to the Indonesian islands , China, and Japan ( and these are big markets).

I am not that sure about this in Japan- I haven't honestly seen much evidence of it- AmE is the dominant form, with some general international English. However, I have also lived in Cambodia, where Australian English is very powerful. It's certainly a player in Asia, but I am not sure about all those countries in your list. ;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am going to try to answer your questions but as a global point of view zooming in . In English, I know , we have "American" English influencing the world as well as Latin America.
[...]
This is all interesting, but your advice seems to be about the influence of Australian English, whereas the OP wants to know about influences on Australian English.

There's only one letter difference, but it could be the difference between a pass and a fail.:shock:

mrang

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Language is changing due to fashion and interest. If there are many Australians who get interested in Korea and Japanese Songs, the influence and impact on the standard English is definitely cannot be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.