Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems like there are a lot of online courses out there these days like TEFL Express and i-to-i. Does anybody know if these courses measure up to the rigorous standards of CELTA?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In short, no. There are a few providers trying to offer decent courses, and there may be some hope with blended courses and videos of lessons, but those courses that do not have a practical teaching element will always be regarded as lesser qualifications, or no qualification at all in the eyes of some.

Last edited:

DannyIreland

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
Just did a CELTA through TEFL Express, and very, very much agree with Tdol. CELTA is just a cut above other certs. They wouldn't have even considered me here in Beijing for the jobs that I have taken weren't it not for my CELTA. It's worth the month for sure.

Laurie, don't make the mistake that some guys here have by getting a lesser cert. Way too restrictive, invest in the CELTA, it pays for itself in no time, believe me :lol:

Tripitaka

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I agree, I made the mistake of thinking only of price and at the time couldn't afford the Celta. I took a 180 hour course with an online provider I spent a long time researching.
The course I took was informative, interesting and challenging and in the end I got a TESOL certificate, accredited by a reasonable company......
This has been a good introduction and got me several jobs (to back up my UK first degree and experience) in several foreign counties.

NOW I am back home in the UK and wishing to stay here and work, I have applied for many jobs but all want a Celta.

The money I earned in the Middle East with my TESOL will now pay for the Celta, but I do wish on reflection I had done it to begin with.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Though less well known, Trinity College’s CertTESOL is as valid a qualification as CELTA.

Both qualifications are now accredited at level 5 by Ofqual, the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulator. This is a British government department that oversees and regulates qualifications in England.

Level 5 is the level of diplomas of higher education and further education, foundation degrees and higher national diplomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.