Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Quechua
      • Home Country:
      • Qatar
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 172
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    The coldest winter ever

    Hi All,

    I am reading the book called "The coldest winter ever" by Sister Souljah. In this book, I have something I don't understand, for instance "She the type of female I'd like to cut in the face with my razor", any grammatically incorrect? "She the type of", it's not a complete sentence cos there is no verb, right? why don't use "She is the type of"? and how to pronounce the name of "Souljah"? Please advise.


    EngFan

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 11,323
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: The coldest winter ever

    "She the type of", it's not a complete sentence cos there is no verb, right? why don't use "She is the type of"?
    Ask "why not use?" "Why don't use" is not grammatical.

    Sister Souljah is an African American. Her language here is typical of that dialect. Yes, there should be an "is" in the sentence.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,687
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: The coldest winter ever

    Quote Originally Posted by EngFan View Post
    Hi All,

    I am reading the book called "The coldest winter ever" by Sister Souljah. In this book, I have something I don't understand, for instance "She the type of female I'd like to cut in the face with my razor", any grammatically incorrect? "She the type of", it's not a complete sentence cos there is no verb, right? why don't use "She is the type of"? and how to pronounce the name of "Souljah"? Please advise.


    EngFan

    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) I was concerned that some beginning learners might not understand Soothing

    Dave's excellent answer.

    (2) Many African-Americans speak standard American English (that is, they would

    definitely use the verb).

    (3) Some African-Americans might use both standard English and the African-

    American dialect (which you often hear in pop music). That is, they speak in

    one way at work and in another way at home.

    (4) And it is true that some African-Americans speak only the African-American

    dialect.

    (5) I am not a linguist, so I do not remember the "fancy" word that means switching

    one's dialect depending on the situation. For example, our President Wilson (1913 -

    1921) reportedly would say something like "He don't" in private but always switched

    to the standard "He doesn't" in public.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Quechua
      • Home Country:
      • Qatar
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 172
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: The coldest winter ever

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    NOT A TEACHER


    (1) I was concerned that some beginning learners might not understand Soothing

    Dave's excellent answer.

    (2) Many African-Americans speak standard American English (that is, they would

    definitely use the verb).

    (3) Some African-Americans might use both standard English and the African-

    American dialect (which you often hear in pop music). That is, they speak in

    one way at work and in another way at home.

    (4) And it is true that some African-Americans speak only the African-American

    dialect.

    (5) I am not a linguist, so I do not remember the "fancy" word that means switching

    one's dialect depending on the situation. For example, our President Wilson (1913 -

    1921) reportedly would say something like "He don't" in private but always switched

    to the standard "He doesn't" in public.
    Thank you for the answer, I also wanted to know how to pronounce "Souljah"? Please advise

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,687
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: The coldest winter ever

    Quote Originally Posted by EngFan View Post
    Thank you for the answer, I also wanted to know how to pronounce "Souljah"? Please advise

    I do not know. Hopefully, someone does.

  1. mara_ce's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Argentina

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 6,066
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: The coldest winter ever

    Quote Originally Posted by EngFan View Post
    I also wanted to know how to pronounce "Souljah"? Please advise
    I've found this pronunciation, but I don't know if it is reliable enough.

Similar Threads

  1. The coldest start to (a) June on record
    By nyota in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2011, 10:37
  2. For the winter, they are busy...?
    By birgit33 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2011, 10:19
  3. winter
    By kukinecka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2008, 17:27
  4. in (the) winter
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Sep-2007, 22:52
  5. the winter
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Sep-2006, 09:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •