Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    atabitaraf is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Hello there,
    The idea is important, because if I spoke English in my English class but in Iran I would say two breads and I beleive it is grammatically correct in English because basically the shape of the bread and the way of using it and ordering it are different here, so if I speak English but about Iranian bread I consider it as a countable thing, and when you English friends come here you'd better say two breads too (for buying Iranian breads ).
    Ata,

  2. #12
    Nudrat Nazeer is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Re: countable uncountable

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    Hello there,
    The idea is important, because if I spoke English in my English class but in Iran I would say two breads and I beleive it is grammatically correct in English because basically the shape of the bread and the way of using it and ordering it are different here, so if I speak English but about Iranian bread I consider it as a countable thing, and when you English friends come here you'd better say two breads too (for buying Iranian breads ).
    Ata,
    Bread is countable in Pakistani English too. We say one bread, two breads, three breads etc to mean one loaf of bread, two loaves of bread, three loaves of bread.
    It's only a difference of dialects, as far as I understand.

  3. #13
    aachu's Avatar
    aachu is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    I think bread is an uncountable noun. For we say 'eat some bread'; 'a piece of bread'; 'three slices of bread' etc.
    Last edited by aachu; 05-Jul-2011 at 00:09.

  4. #14
    gulesin's Avatar
    gulesin is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    Not a teacher or native,
    At least you should say: "Turkey has produced 10.000 breads this year." while bread is countable.
    In Turkish we don't make nouns plural adding suffixes If there is a number in front of the nouns,so we say 2 bread(I know,it is nonsense in English)not 2 breads.

    Of course ,these are different usages in different languages.

  5. #15
    Rover_KE is online now Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,485
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    This thread is becoming surreal.

    Would it be better discussed in the General Language Discussions Forum?

    Rover

  6. #16
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,533
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    This thread is becoming surreal.

    Would it be better discussed in the General Language Discussions Forum?

    Rover
    Moved

  7. #17
    atabitaraf is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Quote Originally Posted by gulesin View Post
    In Turkish we don't make nouns plural adding suffixes If there is a number in front of the nouns,so we say 2 bread(I know,it is nonsense in English)not 2 breads.

    Of course ,these are different usages in different languages.
    Excuse me Rover KE and Bhaisahab, but let me say more clearly,

    All of the English rules are respectable and vital, so we should use all countable nouns in pluraralized form when they are more than one. (turkish bread is not an exception and if it is countable so should be pluralized respectless of turkish grammar)

    My thread is about something else, I say the bread here we have in Iran is basically not the bread that you have in England or the United States, (its shape is different and it is totally another entity) and so we have a right to count Iranian breads.

    1. a piece of bread (the bread in England)
    2. some breads (the kind of different object we eat here as Iranian traditional bread, it is not like the bread you have it is countable because it is counted)

  8. #18
    gulesin's Avatar
    gulesin is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,338
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    ''All of the English rules are respectable and vital, so we should use all countable nouns in pluraralized form when they are more than one. (turkish bread is not an exception and if it is countable so should be pluralized respectless of turkish grammar)''
    Atabitaraf I know all of the English rules are vital and respectable.Iknow the rules of making pluralize in English sufficient enough to be an English teacher.Just open your mind and try to understand what I mean.In TURKISH we say one bread(1 ekmek)
    iki ekmek =two loaves of bread in English.(we don' t use suffix two make plural in Turkish)And BREAD is a COUNTABLE noun in Turkish.I mean as BREAD is UNCOUNTABLE in English,we CAN'T say 2 breadsalthough I talk about bread in Turkey.Because English grammar rules requires this(2 breads isn't a true usage in Englısh.)You have to say ''2 loaves of bread!

    That is my last explanation,that is all.
    Last edited by gulesin; 05-Jul-2011 at 23:42.

  9. #19
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,067
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Quote Originally Posted by atabitaraf View Post
    My thread is about something else, I say the bread here we have in Iran is basically not the bread that you have in England or the United States, (its shape is different and it is totally another entity) and so we have a right to count Iranian breads.
    The right to count or not count bread is not determined by its nation of origin- this is a non-argument as grammar is not decided in this way. If you want to say two breads, then say it. However, be aware that most speakers of English will regard it as wrong, and you would be marked wrong in an exam. Why don't you use the name of the bread- we say two baguettes in English, for example.

    BTW, there are hundreds of varieties of bread on sale in all sorts of shapes and sizes in the US and the UK.

  10. #20
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: countable uncountable

    Some people are saying things like, "In Iranian, Russina, Pakistani, etc we say two breads". You don't, because two breads is English (and usually unacceptable English). In your language the word for bread may be countable, but the word bread is almost always uncountable in English. When you say your word for two followed by the plural form of your word for bread , we would usually say two loaves of bread or, if appropriate two types/sorts of bread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Uncountable or Countable
    By kooiu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2009, 17:38
  2. Countable and uncountable
    By Tvita in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2008, 17:31
  3. Countable or uncountable
    By Tvita in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2008, 13:15
  4. countable/uncountable
    By DivingDeep in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2007, 20:47
  5. countable / uncountable
    By nautes20 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2005, 08:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •