Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
It's a fruit but we use it as a vegetable. Am I right?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a fruit but we use it as a vegetable. Am I right?

I would say yes to this (although we also cook some other fruit at times.) Tomatoes are commonly thought of by non-botanists as vegetables.

Nudrat Nazeer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I would say yes to this (although we also cook some other fruit at times.) Tomatoes are commonly thought of by non-botanists as vegetables.
Thanks, sir.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
UFOs are commonly thought of by non-scientists as alien space craft. That doesn't make them so. ;-)

Tomatoes form from the ovary of the flower; they grow on a stalk with a calyx at the base, and they're full of seeds - just like apples, plums, strawberries.
Still, it's not a big deal.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fruit - usage note:
fruit (fr
oomacr.gif
t)
The ripened ovary of a flowering plant that contains the seeds, sometimes fused with other parts of the plant. Fruits can be dry or fleshy. Berries, nuts, grains, pods, and drupes are fruits.
diamf3.gif
Fruits that consist of ripened ovaries alone, such as the tomato and pea pod, are called true fruits.
diamf3.gif
Fruits that consist of ripened ovaries and other parts such as the receptacle or bracts, as in the apple, are called accessory fruits or false fruits. See also aggregate fruitmultiple fruitsimple fruit, See Note at berry.

Usage To most of us, a fruit is a plant part that is eaten as a dessert or snack because it is sweet, but to a botanist a fruit is a mature ovary of a plant, and as such it may or may not taste sweet. All species of flowering plants produce fruits that contain seeds. A peach, for example, contains a pit that can grow into a new peach tree, while the seeds known as peas can grow into another pea vine. To a botanist, apples, peaches, peppers, tomatoes, pea pods, cucumbers, and winged maple seeds are all fruits. A vegetable is simply part of a plant that is grown primarily for food. Thus, the leaf of spinach, the root of a carrot, the flower of broccoli, and the stalk of celery are all vegetables. In everyday, nonscientific speech we make the distinction between sweet plant parts (fruits) and nonsweet plant parts (vegetables). This is why we speak of peppers and cucumbers and squash
mdash.gif
all fruits in the eyes of a botanist
mdash.gif
as vegetables."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
UFOs are commonly thought of by non-scientists as alien space craft. That doesn't make them so. ;-)

Tomatoes form from the ovary of the flower; they grow on a stalk with a calyx at the base, and they're full of seeds - just like apples, plums, strawberries.

fruit (fr
oomacr.gif
t)
The ripened ovary of a flowering plant that contains the seeds, sometimes fused with other parts of the plant. Fruits can be dry or fleshy. Berries, nuts, grains, pods, and drupes are fruits.
diamf3.gif
Fruits that consist of ripened ovaries alone, such as the tomato and pea pod, are called true fruits.
diamf3.gif
Fruits that consist of ripened ovaries and other parts such as the receptacle or bracts, as in the apple, are called accessory fruits or false fruits. See also aggregate fruitmultiple fruitsimple fruit, See Note at berry.

Usage To most of us, a fruit is a plant part that is eaten as a dessert or snack because it is sweet, but to a botanist a fruit is a mature ovary of a plant, and as such it may or may not taste sweet. All species of flowering plants produce fruits that contain seeds. A peach, for example, contains a pit that can grow into a new peach tree, while the seeds known as peas can grow into another pea vine. To a botanist, apples, peaches, peppers, tomatoes, pea pods, cucumbers, and winged maple seeds are all fruits. A vegetable is simply part of a plant that is grown primarily for food. Thus, the leaf of spinach, the root of a carrot, the flower of broccoli, and the stalk of celery are all vegetables. In everyday, nonscientific speech we make the distinction between sweet plant parts (fruits) and nonsweet plant parts (vegetables). This is why we speak of peppers and cucumbers and squash
mdash.gif
mdash.gif
as vegetables."

The criteria for truth and falsehood regarding material states of affairs (facts, objects, matter) are different from those governing cultural attitudes, beliefs, judgments, and the like (which are conventional, normative and essentially democratic). There is no credible evidence flying saucers even exist, so the point is not germane. The conventional belief according to which, for culinary purposes, and in culinary culture, tomatoes are considered vegetables, is separable from the factual matter that they grow above ground and contain seeds. :D

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think, if the edible part grows under the ground or is a stem - the thing is a vegetable. If the edible part grows on a stem (or a tree) - the thing is a fruit. But I have voted for the vegetable, though the tomato is a fruit ... I don't know why. :oops:

Last edited:

Innocent Fairy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

fruit (fr
oomacr.gif
t)
diamf3.gif
diamf3.gif

mdash.gif
mdash.gif
as vegetables."
It means that bitter gourds, apple gourds and bottle gourds are also fruits because they contain seeds. Am I right? :-?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I voted for both because it is a berry, but we generally use it as a vegetable in the kitchen. I think there have been law cases where it was treated as a vegetable.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means that bitter gourds, apple gourds and bottle gourds are also fruits because they contain seeds. Am I right? :-?
This has been explained.
They aren't fruits simply because they contain seeds. They are fruits because they form from the reproductive organs of the plant - they aren't vegetative structures like leaves and roots. If it starts with a flower, and ends up hanging off the end of a stem (usually with a calyx at the base and the dying flower falling off the other end) it's a fruit.

Some fruits are called vegetables by non-botanists. Even so, they're still fruits. Most vegetables are not fruits. Some vegetables, to a non-botanist, are both. Gourds are both.

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Some fruits are called vegetables by non-botanists.
Because there are two aspects of this question - botanic and gastronomic. When I see a tomato in my garden - it's a fruit without questions (the botanic aspect). When I see it in a salad on the table in front of me - it's a vegetable (the gastronomic aspect). Who wants a tomato for dessert? I think no one... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.